Honolulu Jan 15-20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrWizard

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have 1 day (maybe 2) to skip work and dive.

Depth isn't an concern, nor is mix (air, nitrox, trimix ok) so.... Looking for suggestions on Sites (wrecks preferred) and operators. I've got equipment but will need weights, tanks and fills. So scubaboard ... If you had a limited time like this in Honolulu, what would be your choices?

P.s. I will be at PTC11 (my reason for the trip) in case anyone from there wants to meet up.

The YO-257 would be a good choice if you only had one dive to do. You not only get two wrecks on one dive, you get to watch the Atlantis Submarine drive by.

South Side: Fantasy Reef, Baby Barge, Keanu's Reef and Sea Cave. Some of those sites are pretty dependent on weather and timing. For instance, very calm conditions are needed to hit Sea Cave, whereas the trip to Fantasy Reef is not-insignificant, so it's unlikely that a boat captain would be happy to go there if she/he has to motor home to pick up the PM charter. Depths are all under 100 feet for these sites.

On the leeward side of the island, request the Wedding Arch (aka Amphitheater*; probably one of my favorite dives on the island), Gene Pool, Airplane Canyon, Ulua Cave, or the Wishing Well. With the exception of Amphitheater, these sites are also under 100 feet. Just as well, really: the price of helium and even pure oxygen are pretty steep here in HI, so it's probably kinder to your wallet if you avoid seeking out trimix dives. The boats I'm familiar with here also restrict decompression diving to dedicated charters. Give them a heads-up if you want to make a decompression dive, and they can try and find some like-minded people to fill up the boat.

*Amphitheater is pretty far north (off Pray For Sex Beach), and it's also on the toward-deepish side (over 120 feet, if I recall), so it's not always easy to persuade a captain to go there. Given enough advance warning, it might be possible for your independent guide/dive shop to ensure that there's enough experienced divers to make the trip worthwhile for the captain - if conditions permit, of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom