Hong Kong reef survey results

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

serious_fun

Registered
Reaction score
HK reefs healthy: survey

HK reefs healthy: survey

Health check: Local reefs are healthy and stable with 23 out of 33 sites surveyed recording high coral coverage.

Local reefs are healthy and stable with 23 out of 33 sites surveyed recording high coral coverage, according to the results of Hong Kong Reef Check 2009.

Coral Beach and the public pier in Hoi Ha Wan Marine Park and A Ma Wan in Tung Ping Chau Marine Park recorded the highest coral coverage, ranging from 72% to 74%.

The three-month survey, starting in June, covered coral sites in eastern Hong Kong waters extending from Tung Ping Chau in the north to the Ninepin Group in the south, including Hoi Ha Wan, Yan Chau Tong and Tung Ping Chau Marine Parks.

The survey found a variation in coral coverage ranging from 19% to 74%. Twenty-three sites including dive-sites within Hoi Ha Wan, Yan Chau Tong and Tung Ping Chau Marine Parks recorded high coral coverage at above 50%.

Health status

Reefs at 22 sites were assessed using the coral-watch tool. The average health index was 4.31, similar to last year's 4.27 figure, showing corals were in a healthy and stable condition.

Coral bleaching and some damage was observed at some sites but the impact was minor and localised.

Most of the surveyed sites had high species diversity. Of the 20 assigned indicator species, 19 were recorded, two more species on last year. Wrasses, groupers, butterfly fish, sea urchins, sea cucumbers and cowries were species commonly found at the survey sites.

To better conserve the seascape and ecological resources like coral communities in the geopark, the Agriculture, Fisheries & Conservation Department is planning to designate more marine parks.

thx for sharing, did u join also?

no, I had to travel away from HK over the summer holidays. I will volunteer for the next surveys though, provided that I hear about them before they take place!

:coffee:

Happy New Year!

Hi!

Could you tell me who organised the reef check in HK? I've recently been asked to train as a "reef check diver" and maybe "reef check diver instructor", but am not sure if there is in fact a internationally recognised organisation that regulates or conducts all these activities? Thanks..

no, I had to travel away from HK over the summer holidays. I will volunteer for the next surveys though, provided that I hear about them before they take place!

:coffee:

Happy New Year!

Happy New Year to you too, sorry for the late reply.

I did join this year as well (2009) and from the announcement of gov't, seems it's getting more and more people to join. It's good to see the trend of increasing number of volunteer helper but seems the mindset of environment / underwater conservation is not making much progress though......

Anyway, let's support this event and continue next years.

=)

Hi!

Could you tell me who organised the reef check in HK? I've recently been asked to train as a "reef check diver" and maybe "reef check diver instructor", but am not sure if there is in fact a internationally recognised organisation that regulates or conducts all these activities? Thanks..

If my understand is correct, it's a joint event between AFCD & Reefcheck.org

AFCD Hong Kong Reef Check

you can get more info from Reef Check - Saving Reefs Worldwide as well.

As I know, this year (2009), there are some dive shops launched program to train reef check divers in Hong Kong..... you may also get more info and experience how it conducts.....

Do you guys know which dive clubs make day trips to Tung Ping Chau? Have been wanting to go for a long time but live on Lantau so it is quite a long, long, looooong trek there.......!!!! But, would like to go if I can this summer!

Back
Top Bottom