Hong Kong airport

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike jj

owi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
on my way to Lembeh I change planes in Hong Kong. From American Airlines to Singapore air. I have about 1hour 35 minuets. Is that enough time. To get through customs find Singapore air get ticketed and catch my flight?

Thanks

Hong Kong is a transit country. You won't have to clear customs there. Also usually (especially if you booked the whole journey with one ticket) you will be checked in all the way from your departure to your destination, hence you won't have to check in again. You might have to pick new boarding passes but that's usually easily done at a so called transfer desk

Unfortunately separate tickets. Help line at American Airlines, says I’ll have to go through customs, pickup bags, find Singapore Air, check in, and go through security. They cannot check my bags to Singapore Air.

That’s cutting it extremely close! HKG is a big airport. Getting from one gate to another may require going up and down 3 long flights of escalators and then riding a “train”. On top of what you said about customs, bags, checking in and security!?!

Sorry...sounds like you’ve already issued the tickets?

If you already have the tickets then what else can you do?
1. Ask AA if they could tag your check bag as priority and seat closest to the main exit.
2. Contact SQ that you could be late for check in.
3. Last resort: No check bag.

If all your stars are alined then you should be fine otherwise you would miss the flight to Singapore and may be your connection to Manado as well!!!
Buying two new tickets at airport!!!!!

Good luck

That’s very tight. Even if you get through immigration quickly by requesting / getting lucky, my experience is that with luggage it’s getting much slower (a couple of 45 min waits) over the years.

For tourist the worst part is the immigration! As the queue can be horrendous long.
I was meeting some friends coming from Canada over Christmas and it took them 2hrs to clear the Immigration.
Their check bags were already removed from the conveying belt and placed on the floor!

There is no way I would even try that.

International flights really need a 2-hour check-in window to be safe. However, In this case, you will need to deplane, clear immigration and customs, and collect your bags before the lineup in Singapore Air's queue to check in. Once set you will also proceed through immigration again to exit HK, go through security, and get to the gate. Note boarding gates are closed twenty minutes before departure.

Your odds are slim to none.

Shouldn't be an issue as long as your flight is on time. Hong Kong airport is the most efficient in the world - I have friends who check in on town and then plan to get to the airport 30 minutes before the flight leaves because they know (with absolute confidence) that security and immigration won't take more than a couple of minutes.

Make sure the people at immigration know you need to catch a connecting flight if there's a queue on entry - immigration is normally pretty helpful in Hong Kong.

I'd say you'll be okay as long as your incoming flight isn't delayed by more than 45 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom