Honest Taxi Recommendation - Emmanuel Taxi # 283

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GameChanger

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
For my last 3 Coz trips, I have had the pleasure of getting to know a very reliable, honest, and safe taxi driver by the name of Emmanuel Caamal (Taxi # 283). This past trip we stayed at Residencias Reef in the south and as you may know this can require a few trips into town for restaurants, Mega shopping, etc.
Emmanuel was available to us "on-call" and he never charged a waiting fee when we went shopping or visited a restaurant. We simply called or sent him a text and he was right there for us.

After my morning dives one day, we hired him to do a complete island tour. I have never done this in all my trips here. He was born and raised in Cozumel (five generations) and he had some great insight into the local history and culture. For instance, I never knew about El Cedral. I always thought it was just a reef name.

He even invited my wife and me to his home for his 4-year-old son's birthday party. We got to experience true "local" culture and we also gained a sincere appreciation for how blessed we are.

Please consider him when you are in Coz.

Emmanuel Caamal
+52 987 117 1083

Facebook: Emmanuel Caamal (emma) Feel free to FB Message himhttps://www.facebook.com/jesusemmanuel.caamalgonzalez
Emmanuel Caamal

"honest taxi" seems like an oxymoron. haha j/k
glad you found someone so helpful. it is nice of you to help him out by prmoting it here.

glad you found someone so helpful. it is nice of you to help him out by prmoting it here.
In my many years of going to Cozumel the vast majority of my experiences with taxi drivers there have been positive. We also have "a guy" we use similar to what GameChanger describes - Jose "Squarepants" Lopez in taxi van 350. I highly recommend him.

I think that most are, but some maybe not. I've argued with some, and I have tipped some.

It's been our experience that the overwhelming majority of the drivers a very nice people.

The cute, slanderous description of the "taxi mafia", is exactly that. It certainly applies to some, but a tiny minority. Show me a business or industry on the planet where there isn't a skunk or two.

It's been our experience that the overwhelming majority of the drivers a very nice people.

The cute, slanderous description of the "taxi mafia", is exactly that. It certainly applies to some, but a tiny minority. Show me a business or industry on the planet where there isn't a skunk or two.
IMO it's another difference between people acting independently and people acting as a group.

Jose "Squarepants" Lopez in taxi van 350.

Do you have contact info for him?

I've been thinking about giving up the rental car thing for my next trip since it looks like my usual trips to the east side might not be worth it due to the sargassum, and that was one of the main reasons I liked to have a car. So I've been hitting people up for taxi contact info when they recommend somebody and building myself a list just in case.

Do you have contact info for him?

I've been thinking about giving up the rental car thing for my next trip since it looks like my usual trips to the east side might not be worth it due to the sargassum, and that was one of the main reasons I liked to have a car. So I've been hitting people up for taxi contact info when they recommend somebody and building myself a list just in case.
PMed it to you.

I have had good experiences with the taxi drivers on Coz. This does not mean there isn't a "taxi mafia" that tries to make sure nobody competes with taxis.

The cute, slanderous description of the "taxi mafia", is exactly that.
I agree with you. It's a union. And unions get pretty testy when someone tries to mess with their turf. Many, many years ago, I was in charge of setting up a booth at a trade show in San Francisco. Once my display made its way to the arena, I went to get it and set it up (it was one of those easy pop-up things on wheels). No, no, no. Not only could I not get it. One union had to transport it to my spot and another had to set it up. Unions don't have the same strength in Mexico as elsewhere but taxis are an exception. Denigrating the union is unseemly to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom