Honest Opinions Needed

Buy It?

• For $20? Absolutely!

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • Probably not.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addicted2H2O

Contributor
Reaction score
Okay so I wasn't exactly sure what to title the thread, but that's pretty much the info I'm looking for.

Found an ad on CL here locally for a Catalina AL80 with a manufacture date of 03/00 that I'm interested in picking up. Seller says he got it new as a gift years ago and with all of his destination diving never had filled or inspected. He's moved several times and it's been stored in his garage, but never used. Pics I've seen show it to seemingly be in good physical condition and he says no dents/damage aside from superficial scratches/marring from typical wear and tear and being moved. He's asking $20 for it and is about 5 miles from my house.

Thoughts? Would you buy it?

Isn't $20 just a courtesy amount to him for that item? The real cost to you is getting it inspected, which you have to do anyway. I would go for it, and also, it is not a bad idea to connect with neighbors that dive.

For $20...yup. I don't even want another AL80 and I'd take it for $20.

Isn't $20 just a courtesy amount to him for that item? The real cost to you is getting it inspected, which you have to do anyway. I would go for it, and also, it is not a bad idea to connect with neighbors that dive.

Agreed.

He said he feels kinda bad for selling his gear because his dad bought it for him when they certified together, but he never finds an opportunity to dive these days and he doesn't really want to move it again. So basically he's just trying to get rid of to save him the hassle. Has a NIB Aqualung reg set he's looking to get rid of for $100, too. Same story...received as a gift and never used.

And believe me if I can get him back into diving....I'll certainly try. I'm all for making dive buddies. My wife doesn't like the local "quarry" or dive park diving. She's more of a vacation diver.

Around here CL has an aluminum tank - being called steel and offered at $200. All you have to do is look at the photo and know what it is. Some folks don't know what they have or the value of a tank or their gear.
Take the tank and anything else he wants to sell if you can use it.

I wish I had a few neighbors like that up here... lol

talk to your local dive shop where yo get fills. there are still a lot of places that refuse to fill old tanks >20 years. fair or not it is a reality.

My wife doesn't like the local "quarry" or dive park diving. She's more of a vacation diver.

You need to sell her on the unique indescribeable and unforgettable experience and the once in a lifetime thrill of swimming through a submerged school bus.

@KWS I've asked that question before and they've said as long as it passes hydro and vis they'll fill it. Besides....more often than not these days I take them in and fill them myself. Fringe benefits of being a DM.

@caruso LMAO! Oh she's been. Not through a school bus but through an American Airlines training SIM fuselage and a 50' metal shark named Cisco. Plus a few scuttled boats, etc. She doesn't prefer the low vis. Especially when swimming through said shark and experiencing a complete silt out going back through it a second time.

Isn't $20 less than scrap price for the aluminum?

Buy it, look inside, if it looks good it will probably hydro.

Bob

Just as an update (and mods can close if necessary) I did buy this tank and I actually felt a little bad about picking it up so cheap. Ended up giving the guy $30 for it, which I know isn't much more, but still more than he was asking. Has typical scratches and marring from being handled and moved but otherwise in great shape. The valve and even the o-ring looked brand new. Took it to the shop on Saturday for hydro and vis and removed the valve to look inside.....looks like a brand new tank. Best deal I've found yet!

So thank you SB for your advice and comments. They are much appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom