Homeopathic Sinus Remedies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrispete

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just wanted to throw this one out there with a couple of questions. I frequently use a "natural" remedy for sinus infections called "Sinus Rescue" which is distilled water and ionic silver. It hurts like nobody's business to use, but seems to be able to clear up my sinuses immediately and knock out a sinus infection in a matter of a day. My questions are: 1) Is it safe to use this remedy often and before dives, and 2) are there any other remedies that anyone else is using that seem to help.

chrispete,

I went diving a couple of weekends ago with a doctor who had just come down with a cold. He was using Afrin. He likes topical and not systemic remedies, and suggested trying the Afrin when you have a cold but not diving, to try and get a good feel for how long until it takes effect and for how long it stays working for your body. That way you'll know how to self-medicate when you need it.

I'll pass your posting on to him for his comments. If he has any, I'll post them then.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on ScubaBoard. This is not medical advice given by an expert. Use this technique at your own risk, or better yet, consult a doctor before trying this. So there!

I ran your post by my physician friend, and here is his response:
Well, ... there is clearly a literature indicating effectiveness of silver as an antibiotic. I was unable to locate any literature reports on the efficacy of ionic silver for respiratory infections. More importantly, I doubt that there is any good evidence documenting the safety of chronically administered nasal ionic silver.

I would recommend that the individual have a consultation with an ENT for therapy for recurrent sinusitis. Perhaps there may be a surgical option to eliminate the cause of the recurrent infections.

P.S. - As an aside, ... I really cannot understand the propensity of American Society to prefer untested "natural" products in favor of medications that have been rigourously shown to be safe an effective.

I have an attachment that allows the Water Pick to be used as a nasal irrigator.
I rarely have sinus problems but when they come along, a good rinsing of salt water does wonders.
Gotta watch out for solution retained in the sinus cavity; sometimes a big slug of solution will come blooshing out a half hour later.
Can be embarassing.:wink:

According to another physician's report I saw online (Dr. Murray Grossan, MD) ionic silver not only doesn't work, it's actually BAD for you!

This is a product that was popular in the 20s. Then the toxic effects became known and it was banned. Now it's back.

Silver is toxic. Worse, when it enters the skin, there is no known way to remove it. So you walk around looking like a ghoul - and your life is OVER socially and often economically. The disease is called Argyrosis. Lots of things help the nose. Unfortunately, some, like silver, are extremely toxic to the body. Why hasn't the FDA stopped this product? I suppose they are too busy worrying about prescription products that don't follow their 1,000 rules on lables - commas, capitals, etc. Again, the rule is check with your doctor before trying any product, ESPECIALLY one that is advertised and GUARANTEED to cure.

No offense, but just because something is touted as being "natural" doesn't mean that it can't harm you.

Getting off my soapbox now,

Afrin works well, and I use it myself occasionally. Big warning that should accompany Afrin is to not use it for more than a few days (5 days max), as discontinuation after over 5 days of use very well may cause rebound congestion, that only gets worse with prolonged use (fancy term is "rhinitis medicamentosa").

Jim

A word of caution in regards to homeopathic/natural products. Keep in mind the FDA does not and cannot regulate non-medical products (ie. vitamins, supplements, natural remedies). That being said, you never actually know what these products contain (labelling laws don't apply to most of these products) and where they come from. This is why pro and amateur athletes have to be extremely careful when taking "natural" products because on several occasions, traces of baned substances where found in some of these natural products. One example; some antiarthirtic natural remedies have been found to contain glucocorticoids, an anti-inflammatory medical substance. Just for you to keep ha heads up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom