Homemade Pole Spear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireInMyBones

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I took:
  • a 4' long 1/4" dowel: $1.90
  • 2' latex tubing: $3
  • 9" p-cord: $free (had it around the house)
  • Steel clothes hanger: $free (had it in the closet)

I took the p-cord and tied an overhand knot on both ends. I then took the knots and poked one in each end of the latex tubing. I locked the knots in place with zip ties and melted the ends from coming apart.

I then drilled a hole about a half an inch from the end that was just big enough for the p-cord to pass through doubled up.

I took the clothes hanger and cut the twisty top of and used the twisted part as the screw-in part at the end of the spear. The two ends still coming off became the pronged end (this was sanded down, sharpened and fire-hardened followed by a polishing).

I drilled a hole down the center, just long enough for the spiraled end of the clothes hanger, a little smaller than the spiraled end of the clothes hanger. On this same end, I shaved the wood to a partial point. This allowed for the hole at the end not to break open. The shaved portion of the shaft was sanded smooth. About 4" from the point, I roughed up a section just big enough for my hand to grip. I added some colored bands to mark the spot visually and add some flare.

The wood was then fire-hardened over an open flame (spinning just high enough away from the flame not to char) and sanded down. I did leave the rough spot rough, for obvious reasons.

The barb was fastened via impact and water resistant epoxy.

I am using a marine grad sealant from Sherwin-Williams to do a light coat over the shaft.

I tested the spear minus the sealant on land and could hit the target with ease.

I will post pictures and results of an underwater test soon (the pictures sooner than the test).

I would think 1/4 is a might small for this application both in stength and a physical size. You need to swap out the cloths hanger, it's going to rust off very fast. A lengh of SS rod would a lot better choice. You could use a length of 1/8 SS rod folded over and glued into the handle or length of 1/4 SS threaded rod, use part of the theads to attach it to the shaft and grind down the rest for you spear point. Coat it lightly with grease then set it in the end of the shaft with epoxy. When it drys, you should be able to remove it- replaceable spear point.

Thank you , Herman. I will eventually buy one. I just wanted to try a cheap option for practice first. I thought I would post my steps to help anyone else who might want to do the same thing.

I wanted to go with a SS rod, but I am without the tools to put it all together. I hope what I have made will work temporarily.

Are you crazy kid? You'll shoot your eye out!

:rofl3:

I am leaving work in a few minutes. Once I get home, I will upload pictures without the final coat.

Good Ole Boys from the South......... Still I think the saltwater may eat the wood, that folding metal spear is only $20 I think, maybe $40 with accessories, but I like your thinking. You can come hunt with me anytime.:D

Are you crazy kid? You'll shoot your eye out!

I don't know about shooting his eye out, but I'd be a bit worried about the forces exerted on the wood dowel causing it to snap and that sticking into something.

My local Home Depot sells 3/8 aluminum rod in 4 and 6ft long sections.

Sometimes it is not about the money but it is about making something in your spare time. And yes I guess I am a good ole boy from the south. :D

I have been firing it into thick boxes from the recycling bin all afternoon. Dowel is showing no signs of stress visually. I wish I could x-ray it to check for stress fractures.

It has been a great project.

As to being a "good ole boy," I haven't been called that since middle school.

I do plan on buying one eventually. This project has taught me a few things about inertia in a diabolical way. What a way to relieve stress...bad pun, I know.

As to being a "good ole boy," I haven't been called that since middle school.

I prefer Red Blooded American. Since people has to be politically correct these days about race, color exc. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom