Home-made wing encounter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divad

Contributor
Reaction score
............................................................................................................................

You're not the girl with the green wing are you?

I have a good small story, I'm just too tired now.

mirrocraft:
ok is there a point be hind this

Aside from somebody maybe needing a stamp collection? Yes. Sorry, I've been gravely ill. I was on a boat in Pompano a few weeks ago and a women next to me starts commenting on how streamlined my Oxycheq Mach V was. She really liked it, although she had never heard of Oxycheq. I noticed she had a hunter green horseshoe wing and asked her if it was standard GSA issue. Then I noticed some PVC between the corrigated inflator hose and the wing and asked her to tell me she hadn't made it herself. She had, and was proud of it. She seemed to not have been diving for a while and said that she used to dive in the springs and that they mostly made all their own stuff. I thought it was great. She started to unzip the horizontal zipper on the top of the wing to show me but I didn't want to be a bother so I stopped her. She explained that the bladder was an innertube turned back on its self and glued together with "a lot of glue." The Inflator hose was connected to the bladder by a PVC tee and "lots of glue." She was really happy that on the second drift dive I had a finger-spool for the flag; "we used to make those too." She kept talking about streamlining and said they used to sneak into springs around midnight and do deco-dives 'til 4 or 5 in the A.M. and that she mainly just remembered being cold and needing to pee. Anyway, neat girl and great pickup buddy.

There are probably many who have made their own BCs, but they're usually spoken about posthumously. :)

jeffrey-c:
There are probably many who have made their own BCs, but they're usually spoken about posthumously. :)

This girl was quite alive and I don't think her home-made wing/plastic Bp with no over-pressure valve was in any way endangering her future.

jeffrey-c:
What's the matter with that and why would you think that way? :confused:

Gary D.

jeffrey-c:

Some of the pioneers of diving came from San Diego. Sometimes they didn't use BC's. I'll use a common line - It's the diver, not the equipment. X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom