“Holy crap this is getting heavy”!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Navymarkv

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
as I've progressed from compact setup to dslr in housing with arms and two strobes and.....! I’m curious as to how you guys are coping(adapting) to dragging all this crap through the airports and to and from the dive boats? It’s all nice in the water but all other points in between?

I use a large hiking backpack (85L) in lieu of a roller suitcase, it saves a few kilos overall. Camera inside the housing, lenses, strobes, macro port, batteries and laptop go into a carryon-sized camera backpack; dive gear, tray, arms, dome(s), etc, go into the big pack, with the more fragile items wrapped in clothes, wetsuit and such. Away from perfectly smooth pavement, big pack on the back and smaller pack on the chest are easier to lug around than a roller case.

Nice! Sounds stealthy compared to maybe pelican cases. I like the idea of using clothing for padding.

Pelican cases, aside from being heavy, pretty much scream 'expensive stuff in here!' to anyone who cares to look. Conversely, a ratty old backpack hardly warrants a second look, as few people are tempted by the prospect of stealing dirty socks and underpants.

I use a Pelican 1510 roller carry-on. It's heavy af when loaded (+/- 42 pounds) but looks compact. I've never been challenged at check in. I was asked to gate-check it one time, but only because there was a shortage of overhead space. I figure worst case, if I do have to check it, I am comfortable in doing so.

The case fits this mess of stuff (barely)
* Aquatica housing with D7000 body inside
* handles for above
* two Ike D161s
* three lenses (105, 60, 10-17)
* wet diopter and holder
* flat port
* two extension rings
* two Aquatica arms and "joints"
* 45° viewfinder
* two strobe chords
* one Ike charger, one Nikon charger
* spare o-ring sets
* misc tools, swabs, lube etc

I pack my mini-dome in a backpack with a spare D7000. 8" port gets packed with clothes (it's acrylic), as well as additional Ike charger, focus light etc.

So basically, all of this crap, less the ports and one body fits into it.

Camera Gear.jpg

@Stoo, awesome equipment. But what do you use for floats????

My drysuit? ;-)

In salt water, it's not heavy, especially with the 8" dome. In fresh, where most of my diving happens, it's a lump, but manageable. I've never seen a need for floats, and the last thing I need is more stuff to carry.

If I am shooting three dives a day, my hands feel it after a few days, especially in cold water, like BC, but I suck it up.

(I do use a lanyard in case I drop it.)

Ah, makes senses.

I always dive with my camera... It's become part of my buoyancy control system. I suspect I'd have trouble sinking without it. ;-)

Back
Top Bottom