Hollis SMS 75 v Apeks WSX-45

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David1980

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

Can anyone give advice on whether to purchase a Hollis SMS 75 (or perhaps 100) or an Apeks WSX-45?

I am looking for a lighter weight option for travel and I understand that the Apeks is a better option for diving with aluminium tanks. However, I 'want to buy right' the first time and I want to buy the appropriate kit that would be future proofed for my progression as a technical diver.

Any advice or tips would be gratefully received.

are you planning to use this for both warm water with al80s and cold water with steel tanks? you may want to get an extra wsx25 for the warm water usage. can re-use the harness.

best option is to try both the apeks and xdeep systems then pick which one works better for you

are you planning to use this for both warm water with al80s and cold water with steel tanks? you may want to get an extra wsx25 for the warm water usage. can re-use the harness.

best option is to try both the apeks and xdeep systems then pick which one works better for you

Thanks for the response.

It is likely that I will be doing one or two liveboards a year in warm places with some ad-hoc UK diving here and there.

I trained with the Hollis for my sidemount course but like the look of the Apeks. I will get to try it at the weekend through a dive shop but I am just trying to gauge whether this would be a totally future option for my progression through technical diving.

When you say “get an extra WSX25 for the warm water, do you mean that I should take that wing abroad, as I wouldn’t need a WSX45?

Thanks for the advice :)

yes, i use a wsx45 with steel tanks and a drysuit and the wsx25 with aluminum 80s in warm water with a 3mm or less wetsuit.

Thanks!

You have answered my question- I should go for the Apeks over the Hollis!

I can always get an additional, smaller wing later on.

I agree to go with the Apex over the Hollis. I am an XDeep guy but the Apeks will serve you well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom