Question Hollis HD200 Cam Band change out to Aqualung or Scubapro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mark01

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The one thing I do not care for with my Hollis HD200 is the cam band. It functions and is certainly adequate, but I would like to swap it out for metal catch and clamp style like the Aqualung or Scubapro. I am wondering if anyone has done this swap or can tell whether or not it even can be done. It looks as though I will have to take the bcd apart to accomplish the task, but just looking at it there do not appear to be any special considerations required unless there is going to be a problem with the length of the new strap.

TIA,
Mark

The one thing I do not care for with my Hollis HD200 is the cam band. It functions and is certainly adequate, but I would like to swap it out for metal catch and clamp style like the Aqualung or Scubapro. I am wondering if anyone has done this swap or can tell whether or not it even can be done. It looks as though I will have to take the bcd apart to accomplish the task, but just looking at it there do not appear to be any special considerations required unless there is going to be a problem with the length of the new strap.

TIA,
Mark
I've made that change on numerous BDCs and Wings, No issues yet, although the BCD disassembly can be irritating. I've NOT done it on a a HD200. Length is not likely a problem; the new bands you are putting in are quite adjustable.

I am going to do it on my HD200 eventually when I have time but I don't anticipate a problem except taking time to accomplish. Go ahead and do it first so I find out from you if there will be any issues 😃

@mark01

How do you like the bc? How long have you had it for now? Any other modifications?
I like it quite a lot. I can get it fitting tight to my body which is not something I could accomplish with my Aqualung Axiom Jacket. I like to feel like the tank is part of me and this bc accomplishes that for me. My trim is better with the HD compared to the jacket bc’s I’ve owned; and it is very easy to put on and take off compared to my Halcyon backpack and wing because of the adjustable shoulder straps. As I mentioned, I don’t care for the the cam band and am going to change that out this winter. The last concern with the HD is that the grommets to attach a tool to the BC are spaced in such a manner as to prevent attachment of any scuba tools in the market today. For the life of me, I cannot understand why Hollis did that. That being said, there are many large and small D rings for attachment of gear needed for most dive tasks. It’s not a purebred tech BC, but a great tool for the recreational diver who is looking for a streamlined BC offering comfort and utility. YMMV.

it is very easy to put on and take off compared to my Halcyon backpack and wing because of the adjustable shoulder straps.

YES! It is much easier and faster to put on and take off. LOTS of room for adjustment and customization yet easier to do than with BP/W bc.

The last concern with the HD is that the grommets to attach a tool to the BC are spaced in such a manner as to prevent attachment of any scuba tools in the market today. For the life of me, I cannot understand why Hollis did that.
Yes, I just can't understand that. They don't have a knife that will fit. Yet, the pockets are the best BC pockets I have come across, they actually do fit lots of things without a problem.

I threaded a double loop bungee through one of the bottom grommets and attached lots of things to it.

My suggestions to Hollis were to either make a knife that fits the grommets they have now or change the distance between the grommets to fit some of the available knives in the market.

The one important missing part is a solid SS ring inside the pockets and perhaps a bungee to be used to attach do dads just like a dry/wet suit pockets. If they do that, it will be fantastic.

I bought the Scubapro cinch belt to replace the tank belt on the HD200 but haven't gotten around to do it. I am waiting for you to do it now :)

Check: Best Bulky Knot to stop a Bungee from slipping out of a BC Pocket Grommet

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom