Hollis HD 200 vs Mares Bolt sls bcd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parsa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all!

I’ve been certified since about a month ago and I’m really craving to buy my own equipment, mainly because it would be MY own equipment but also that where I come from rentals suck.

Anyway, I’ve sorta stumbled upon these two BCDs and there don’t seem to be any comparisons between the two, I’m thinking maybe because they’re both in different leagues but I would really like someone to clear things up for me

I would love to be a cave diver, wreck diver and I can definitely see myself traveling to different locations to hit the popular dive spots.

What are the major differences and which would come out on top.

Thankyou and sorry for the long post!

if you want to be a cave and wreck diver, neither of these bc's will really do much of anything for you in those two realms.... Would suggest looking at a bp/w first since you specifically mentioned those two types of diving

if you want to be a cave and wreck diver, neither of these bc's will really do much of anything for you in those two realms.... Would suggest looking at a bp/w first since you specifically mentioned those two types of diving

Oh no I’d love to be a cave and wreck diver, but here we don’t have any caves.. and Maybe one or two wrecks and that’s about it.

So I’ve based this for recreational use for now, when the time and experience comes I’ll definitely look into gear more suited to those.

I've used the mares bolt BC and it is nice and I was considering that at one point but I decided to go for a BP/W setup(Halcyon). I'd wait and get at least 50-80 dives under your belt using different equipment and then decide. See if you can find a dive centre that rents BP/W BCs and try that too.

How did you find it on the surface?
No issues on the surface that I could recall. But then again, Ive gotten used to a bpw rig and after that, on the surface, nothing else is really a bother.

So are you saying there was no pitching forward or that it was manageable at lower inflation?

So are you saying there was no pitching forward or that it was manageable at lower inflation?

No pitching forward. I'm not sure why there are a lot of complaints about that with bpw/back inflation. I think its because people tend to over inflate when they are on the surface. If youve got the right amount of trim/weights and inflate just enough i dont feel any forward pitching on the surface.

Back
Top Bottom