Hollis F-1 yellow tip fins not so yellow..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lee Viathan

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just received a 2XL Pair of HOLLIS F-1's as an exchange for an XL pair, and the new pair was packed tightly enough that the yellow tips have been rubbed and either the "Yellowing" has come off or the black rubber has come on. Looks kinda grungy.

Not wanting to send the fins back a second time for something cosmetic, I was hoping that HOLLIS might have some DIY way to touch up the yellow or safely remove the black scuffiing without removing more of the underlying yellow.

BTW I can't wait to get in the water with these bad boys! I think I could fin to Greenland in three kick cyles!

Your thoughts, insights and observations, Please

Thanks,
Lee

Hi Lee:

Could you post pictures of your fins? I purchased a pair of yellow tipped Hollis F1 fins, when Hollis first introduced them. I've been extremely pleased with their performance, both in terms of propulsion efficiency and maneuverability.

I believe the pigment is impregnated into the rubber and, at least on mine, have never worn off. However, I have rubbed them on rocks or whatever was in my gear bag. They do have black marks across the yellow surface, which usually removes itself afterwards (the mark, not the yellow part). I found that my old Apollo Bio fins, which were also made of rubber, were prone to the same "markings." You might just have superficial contamination.

O.

I'm curious about this, too, as I was considering the yellow tips myself.

I just received a 2XL Pair of HOLLIS F-1's as an exchange for an XL pair, and the new pair was packed tightly enough that the yellow tips have been rubbed and either the "Yellowing" has come off or the black rubber has come on. Looks kinda grungy.

Not wanting to send the fins back a second time for something cosmetic, I was hoping that HOLLIS might have some DIY way to touch up the yellow or safely remove the black scuffiing without removing more of the underlying yellow.

BTW I can't wait to get in the water with these bad boys! I think I could fin to Greenland in three kick cyles!

Your thoughts, insights and observations, Please

Thanks,
Lee

Hi Lee,

The F1 fin is 100% natural rubber which, due to the manufacturing process ships with a release compound on it. This is pretty much gone after the first dive. Let us know how the fins are doing now!

Thanks,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom