Holes in Jet foot pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jonnythan

Knight Scublar
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone punched holes in the foot pockets of their Jets or Turtles to make it easier to get them on or off? It's occurred to me that it's quite difficult to take my Jets off, and they make this quality sucking sound when I do. Seems to me like I'm fighting a vacuum here.

Of course I read about shore divers who like the foot pockets to store water to rinse things off with, but other than that, I can't imagine there's any issue with taking out the soldering iron, right?

The thing that bothers me is that I refuse to believe I'm the only one to have ever thought of this. I'm not that smart.

Been alot of folks talk about it, but I've never read whether they did, and if it made any difference. I don't have problems with my Turtles.

MD

I drilled a few (3) small holes in the foot pockets of my jetfins and it seems to help with the vacuum effect. It's one of those things that is worth a try, as it really doesn't affect the integrity of the fins in any way.

Buy some silicone spray and spray the inside of the foot pocket. Lasts for a bunch of dives, and you get to keep the water in the pocket for rinsing!

I skin dive with US Diver Rocket fins (as well as scuba dive). I drilled holes at the toe end of the foot pockets to make sure that all the air emptied out as I was swimming down. I also drilled holes in the soles of my wet suit boots so that I wouldn't walk around with bags of water on my feet when I got out of the water. I punched a hole in the top of my hood to keep it from filling up with air. I don't like a tight hood, so there are gaps at the side of my face that catch exhaust bubbles.

detroit diver once bubbled...
Buy some silicone spray and spray the inside of the foot pocket. Lasts for a bunch of dives, and you get to keep the water in the pocket for rinsing!

Am I the only one who thinks to bring a jug of water with me when I go somewhere that might call for rinsing before heading home? :p

BTW, Camelbaks make excellent rinsers. Toss the bladder on top of the trunk and squeeze the bite valve... instant shower.

Where do you put the holes?
Bottom of the foot bed near the toes?
How small, would 1/4" be a good size or smaller?

jonnythan:
Has anyone punched holes in the foot pockets of their Jets or Turtles to make it easier to get them on or off? It's occurred to me that it's quite difficult to take my Jets off, and they make this quality sucking sound when I do. Seems to me like I'm fighting a vacuum here.

Of course I read about shore divers who like the foot pockets to store water to rinse things off with, but other than that, I can't imagine there's any issue with taking out the soldering iron, right?

The thing that bothers me is that I refuse to believe I'm the only one to have ever thought of this. I'm not that smart.
Go for it, sounds like the perfect solution.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom