Hola from Oakland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

astrofunk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all -

I'm a fairly new diver and brand new to the board, so I thought I'd stop here and say that this is the single greatest SCUBA resource I've yet to find! Thanks to all for the informative discussions.

Here's my scoop: I live in Oakland, CA, and I'm a grad student at Berkeley. I did my OW two years ago (in Monterey) because my research requires me to go to Hawaii a couple of times a year. (And the university picks up the bill -- tough luck, huh?) Since then, my diving has been roughly divided between Hawaii and Northern California.

My girlfriend got certified about six months ago, and between her enthusiasm and mine, we've set a goal of diving at least once a month from now until, well, the rest of our lives... We're in the process of acquiring our own equipment, but since we're both pretty ridiculously poor, our progress has been slow.

On that note, thanks almost utterly to the influence of this board, I just bought an Xcel 8/7/6 hooded wetsuit, and I'm looking at the Apeks TX-50/DS4 by way of a regulator. Next will be a console and then a BC, though I may have to sell my body to science to raise the funds. Any advice on that matter would be appreciated!

best to all,
steve

Welcome to the board!

On the subject of buying regs, great choice, but you'll probably have to lump the regs and console into the one purchase - regs aren't much good without an SPG (pressure gauge). Hang around on the boards a bit longer and we might even convince you to go with wrist mounted instruments and a plain old SPG on a hose, instead of the console! :D

There are a few shops in the area that rent out DIN tanks (Ocean Odyssey in Santa Cruz, Monterey Bay Dive Center in Monterey), so if you don't mind being limited to those choices, go with the DIN connector on the DS4 regulator. You can always get a DIN to yoke adapter for those times DIN rental tanks aren't available - not sure what you can get in Hawaii, but I'm guessing yoke is more common being part of the US and all. Plus the more people that turn up to dive shops to rent tanks asking for DIN, the better :tease:

cheers

Ben

Welcome to the board from the cold waters of New England USA.
Have fun here and Dive Safe...........................Arduous

Hi, and welcome... Just one question... were you looking for advise on gear or selling your body to science? I have found that they don't really pay enough to support this habit....

Jessica

Welcome from the warm waters of Asia. After renting the gears for some time, you'll want certain features included in your purchases. What you felt comfortable using and newer features will assist you in your selection. But ask anyway to see what we think.

Dive safe and I really do envy your work-play setup.

Have yet to try the dry-suit or freeze waters of NoCal, but I hear there's gorgeous stuff up there. Sounds like you have a great arrangement with the university. Hmmm, I should see if I can get a Ph.D. studying the art of Grand Cayman!

I, too an a po' kid. I once had some wonderful used gear from a special table at my LDS. Old & out of style is actually quite fashionable down here, where looking like an old salt rather than a salesman's dream gives you status on the beach.

Perhaps you & your GF can find the same good luck. Just don't fall for that Ebay nonsense; it's a good way to waste $ on a white elephant you can only dump by ripping off another unfortunate soul.

Welcome!
Nice job that you get to go to Hawaii twice a year!
Ranz

Regards from sunny Israel.

Hope you'll enjoy the board and its friendly members. It is the best board of its kind and a great source for everything which is scuba.

Ari :)

Back
Top Bottom