Hogarthian VS(?) DIR...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KOMPRESSOR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In my fog of understanding, I thought these two (HOG & DIR) was strongly connected. From some of the answers I've read to my and other's questions, it seems something can be Hogarthian, but not DIR :06:

OK, I'm lost! Anybody care to clearify this to me, please?

For the record, I dive with a steel BP, one piece webbing and an Eclipse 40 with a steel tank. My regs are all DIN and my main 2. stage has a 7 foot hose. I use heavy rubber fins with no "modern day" fancy applications. I use a low volume mask. My #1 knife couldn't kill the smallest flounder, and I usually don't bring a net unless I'm going hunting. -Only then I bring a bigger knife (2,5" blade). And I wear black!!!

I am, so therefore I dive. But what am I, and what do I dive :D

KOMPRESSOR:
OK, I'm lost! Anybody care to clearify this to me, please?

When I first entered cave diving one of the big controversys was diving Hogarthian versus butt mounting the canister and stuffing the long hose on the side of the tank with bungees. Most of the instructors teaching at Ginnie springs out of the dive shop there (back when it was a small shop) used the Hogarthian method which included JJ at the time. An archive search will reveal a couple of articles that JJ wrote on the benefit of Hogarthian versus the common dive style of the time. I have continued to be a Hogarthian person from that period onward and don't claim to be a DIR expert,but DIR extended beyond gear configuration of the Hogarthian philosphy to other areas like fitness,deco,best gas mixes etc.

Ok, so I can say I dive "Hogarthian", since I've learned to appreciate that "less is more" and keeping it simple by using the gear i use in the way I use it. Since I'm not educated in any way on these matters and do not have regular buddies with the same approach, it would be hard to claim being a DIR-follower wouldn't it? (Never thought I was, anyway :D)

KOMPRESSOR:
I am, so therefore I dive. But what am I, and what do I dive :D

You are what you are so who cares what label anyone else wants to put on you? If you are comfortable with it then don't worry about a label...just dive

Mike Veitch:
You are what you are so who cares what label anyone else wants to put on you? If you are comfortable with it then don't worry about a label...just dive

I'm not labelling myself. Others are... :wink:

I think if you were DIR you wouldn't have to ask the question! (so that rules that out! :D )
Hogarthian? Well that's basically a type of equipment choice. If you choose your gear because of Bill Mains' ideas and are faithful to them then I suppose that's 'Hogarthian', and if you do do that then you would know why as well! :D

Kim:
I think if you were DIR you wouldn't have to ask the question! (so that rules that out! :D )
Hogarthian? Well that's basically a type of equipment choice. If you choose your gear because of Bill Mains' ideas and are faithful to them then I suppose that's 'Hogarthian', and if you do do that then you would know why as well! :D

I think it has become PC to say you are DIR or personal preference,just as there was a time when you were Hogarthian or not.

KOMPRESSOR:
In my fog of understanding, I thought these two (HOG & DIR) was strongly connected. From some of the answers I've read to my and other's questions, it seems something can be Hogarthian, but not DIR :06:
"Hogarthian" specifies equipment only, "DIR" specifies equipment plus standard gasses, plus END limits plus team protocols, etc. Therefore I think of DIR as a superset of Hogarthian.

DIR is a bunch of stuff that a group (the WKPP) pulled together which they felt were "best practices". The "Hogarthian rig" was adopted without modification as far as I know. But as I stated above, DIR goes much farther than just the equipment...

But, at *just* the equipment level the answer to your quesiton is no, you can't be hogarthian and not be DIR. But since DIR is so much more than equipment, you CAN dive a hogarthian rig and not be DIR by diving solo, diving on air to 200 feet, etc.

As I mentioned right off, the key to sorting out DIR vs. Hogarthian is to think of DIR simply as a superset of Hogarthian.

Hogarthian is the basic rig, and DIR is how you dive it.

Roak

If you are familiar with set theory, then "Hogarthian" and "DIR" overlap, with that part of the "Hogarthian" set that falls within the "DIR" set being the gear rig portion of "DIR"; "Hogarthian" is a much smaller set than "DIR" as it is gear specific while "DIR" encompasses a whole ("holistic") way of diving. The "DIR" way of rigging gear is "Hogarthian" but there are "Hogarthian" rigs that don't satisfy "DIR" specifications.
Bottom line... you can dive a "Hogarthian" rig without being a "DIR" adherent, but if you are "DIR" then your rig is "Hogarthian."
Rick :)

Kompressor,
I think you're a Viking troll. (and I was careful with my words:) )

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom