Hogarthian help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the cam bands you want the smaller pockets. While I am a HOG dealer, for the cam band pockets, I prefer to use the ones from XS Scuba. The larger 10lb ones go on the waist strap and if you use a weight belt instead, the pockets can be used for accessories. Just load them in the through the zippered top and make sure the velcro flaps are secure. The 10lb pockets on a warm water rig using a belt for the weights, can hold a spare mask, DSMB and spool, small light, etc.

You're definitely gonna want to cut some of that excess harness. Even an extra foot is more than enough on each end.

Regarding the STA

plate-back-jpg.693501

You might want to consider putting the top tank strap through the middle slots. The top slots will likely put the tank way too high on your back, and you'll end up hitting your head on the first stage the whole dive.
He also needs to change the angle on the inflator. That position is just used for shipping it to the customer from the mfg to save space. It needs to be loosened and rotated about 45 degrees to the left of where this photo shows. The STA will keep the tank far enough away from his head that he doesn't need to move the strap. Unless he runs with the tank very high. The valve opening where the reg connects should be right about at the top of the wing as a starting point with an al80. As he gets more experienced he can try moving it up and down if necessary.

something I oversaw earlier, but is mentioned above as well, your inflator seems to be going over your right shoulder?
It should always go over the left.

Also the d-ring on the waistband should be on the left side, not right the side .

You want the buckle on your right side as mentioned above. Nemrod's photos actually show you an example of what you could do with the gianormous weight pockets you bought. Just thread them close to the backplate with some stoppers. Because I think the big pockets will be a pain in the ass when trying to mount your tank.

1638472196484.png

Also very important and one of the most important things imo. Get a loose piece of bungee, or a rubber ring on your left shoulder, above your shoulder d-ring, route your inflator through it so it can't get lost and floppy.
See picture below:

1638472541931.png

The best lesson in this thread so far is to NOT take a picture of yourself in a mirror and then ask if you've set up your gear correctly, especially if some of your pictures are in a mirror and some are not...

The best lesson in this thread so far is to NOT take a picture of yourself in a mirror and then ask if you've set up your gear correctly, especially if some of your pictures are in a mirror and some are not...
Yes, it would be much easier to ask for advice if I knew what I was doing - but then, there'd be no reason to ask for advice.

You didn't correctly thread your buckle looking at the picture you posted.

The excess of the buckle should not come out on front, but fold onto itself on the backside of your webbing.

R.1e0cce74f0bbde8953fdeda16f49da9c

buckle_done_large.jpg

I stole these pictures for an old Scubaboard thread, so I'm sorry if I violated someone's hand-privacy...
I did thread the buckle correctly, but it is not finished in the picture posted. Removing the buckle, such as to put a weight pocket on the harness, is a huge task. Leaving the last 3rd undone saves a lot of time until I am certain I have everything where I want it.

As an aside I have a hard time with these Halcyon pockets when they are not jammed full of lead--the internal pocket with the weight in it often slips out and dangles. So if I only need 4-6 lbs, 2 chunks/bags of lead on each side, it becomes a PITA. I've added some bungee around the whole package to keep them intact but honestly I really am thinking about just chucking them.

Yes, it would be much easier to ask for advice if I knew what I was doing - but then, there'd be no reason to ask for advice.
Sorry, I was not commenting on the fact that you asked for advice. I respect that you did that.
My comment was only about the clear confusion engendered by the mirrored images.

Back
Top Bottom