Hog wrapping a bail out hose under a loop on a rebreather.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that's why you don't understand the GUE valve drill though... The operative word is "drill" if you refer to the valve manual (currently version 2.2) there is a section titled "General Trouble-Shooting Procedure" which does not say "right->center->left"
I admire your dedication to DIR and reading the Fundies literature.

I particularly liked "GUE's Core Values: A Question of Identity" by Dr. Panos Alexakos

I think that's why you don't understand the GUE valve drill though... The operative word is "drill" if you refer to the valve manual (currently version 2.2) there is a section titled "General Trouble-Shooting Procedure" which does not say "right->center->left"
Not only that... The valve drill is just a drill. It is NOT what you would do in a real situation (this is taught in tec1 and cave1).

I don't comment on the JJ, since I don't divve it, although I can see many mistakes in the description that @Wibble gave.

full

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!
there's one for sale here

I admire your dedication to DIR and reading the Fundies literature.

I particularly liked "GUE's Core Values: A Question of Identity" by Dr. Panos Alexakos
Not entirely sure I see the link to the topic, but I agree that's a good one.
I was specifically addressing wibble saying how they where taught the valve drill in fundies isn't the correct way to handle a loss of gas, when for the purposes of fundamentals it's to make sure you understand how to manipulate the valves, not what order to do it in.

I was specifically addressing wibble saying how they where taught the valve drill in fundies isn't the correct way to handle a loss of gas, when for the purposes of fundamentals it's to make sure you understand how to manipulate the valves, not what order to do it in.
I sensed what your point was, but I was concerned you missed @Wibble's point which was also focused on philosophy and I thought I would point out the musings of a GUE leader with a slightly different philosophy compared to what I had previously thought was mainstream.

Don't worry when I read the article I sent it to a GUE mate T1,T2,C1,C2, (who did a sidemount course with me), maybe he didn't read it, but he didn't respond.

But wasn't that rEvo/Liberty SM BOB's/Kiss Sidekick team with split fins, video a thing of beauty.

My Fundies instructor was pretty clear that you go Right/Centre/Left unless you know which is leaking. Rationale was most hose breaks are the longhose.

My TDI instructor said to go for the centre first (rationale to preserve your gas) but was chilled about which one to go to first if you've come from GUE. From that I assume it was commonplace.

All that matters is a quick and efficient valve (drill) without loosing buoyancy nor finning.

Valve drills on OC are always miserable. So are valve drills on a rebreather. Both are horrible -- and sometimes impossible -- when the valve's tight. Sidemounters are smug gits.

Valve failures are actually trained with air gun. I always heard which side the leakages were.
Interestingly my TDI instructor would do that but it was underneath you so all you got was a massive cloud of bubbles. Centre first! Then play with the right/left to see if the bubbles stop.

Was even more fun being airgunned and doing the shutdown drills whilst blindfolded!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom