HOG vs OMS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Currently looking at the HOG Total Buoyancy Control System package vs the OMS IQ Lite package, both with 32# wing, soft backpack, weight pockets, and tank straps. I have no experience with either of these two manufacturers, so I am looking for recommendations and comments from divers that have had experience with either package. Thank you in advance.

the wings are fine for either, but consider going with a conventional plate and harness instead. the dgx single tank package is cheaper iirc. but hog usually has a BF sale, so maybe check if the wing is discounted then.

I have several of the hog rigs for students and have no complaints. A buddy of mine bought the soft plate and loves it. He hasn’t been super impressed with the stainless fast cam band, but the regular cams have worked great for me. The 32 lbs wing is very stable for single tanks but roomy enough for mini doubles that my wife has used. The basic harness is all you need but the deluxe harness has been preferred more often than not by my students. If you want packable for travel then the soft plate is nice, but if you just think it will be more comfortable then you may be surprised by how comfy and more stable a hard plate is (even when diving in just swimming trunks). As mentioned above they like to make deals around Christmas, so you may find an unbeatable price.

Btw, an extra triglide on each side of the lower plate to help secure the webbing is helpful and large plastic triglides on the webbing in front of the weight pockets keep them from sliding forward when trimmed out in the water.

I do some local diving at Spring Lake in San Marcos, TX, and for that, the aluminum plate would be nice. However, a lot of my diving is via international and domestic air travel, so the soft backpack was more appealing for weight saving for flight travel. But, I will keep an open mind.

Back
Top Bottom