Hog set up questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TigerDiver8

Contributor
Reaction score
Ventura County, California, United States
# of dives
500 - 999
hey everyone, glad to say i am officially a HOG diver, ive got my 32 lb singles wing and SS back plate, and single tank HOG D1 cold water first stage and two second stages, with a 7 ft primary hose, and clipped SPG. i absolutly love this set up. But i do have some questions......

The inflator hose i have tucked inside the bungee on the left d ring, but im unable to deflate completely because i cant raise the hose high enough, i end up having to rotate forward and use the dump valve on the bottom left of the wing which causes excess water in the bladder at the end of dives. Is this common practice or do i have the hose hooked wrong.

Next question is depth gauge. I cant afford a wrist computer or a console right now (dont want any more hoses) now i never dive alone so i know depths and saftey stops from my dive buddy. Is there a depth gauge i can attach to my cliped HOG SPG or what other options do u recommend.

THANKS AND SAFE DIVING

Interesting! As a new GUE diver-in-training, I thought the corrugated hose went through the bungee and the LP hose stayed outside. But the other way around makes more sense from that standpoint.

I've seen instructors do it different ways. I was taught to put the whole assembly through the bungie, because otherwise, the bungie can pull the LP hose off the fitting. Honestly, I really like Tobin's new way of doing it, by putting the LP hose through a loop of inner tube on the harness above the d-ring. It holds the whole thing close to your shoulder, but permits very easy raising of the corrugated hose for dumping.

The water in the wing is not because you are using the butt dump. It's because you are holding the dump open when air is not passing through it. The same thing will happen with the corrugated hose, if you hold the outlet valve open when there is no air reaching it.

When diving a dry suit, I like to use the inflator hose, because the motion of lifting it is also the motion that vents the suit. In contrast, the butt dump may require you to go a bit butt-up to dump, which puts air in your feet that you can't dump until you change trim. I remember my Rec Triox class, where all the students who were trying religiously to use the butt dump did this funny humping dance -- butt up, head up, butt up, head up -- all the way up their ascents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom