HOG or OMS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Altamira

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at the HOG Total Buoyancy Control bp/w and the OMS IQ lite bp/w, in either the softpac or aluminum plate. Unfortunately, I do not know enough about either one, and have no local dealer that sells them. I would greatly appreciate any advice and recommendations, especially from anyone that uses the HOG or OMS system. Because a lot of my diving is done while traveling, weight savings and packability are important, but are not necessarily deal breakers since I also dive locally where bcd weight is not a factor.

I hope you get a response, as I have the same questions.
The 25% off sale that just hit makes it quite tempting!

I can attest that HOG has excellent customer service.

-Z

Please try them on before you buy. Fit and comfort and THE most important aspect of any tank mounting device. Me? I abandoned the traditional BP&Wing years ago for a hybrid: Zeagle's Express Tech. I can't comment on the other BCDs, but I do suggest trying anything on that's so integral to your comfort underwater.

I bought the HOG Total Bouyancy Control system with the "soft" plate and I still use that from time to time. The main reason I bought it was some confusion over all the possible options and combinations of finding and putting together BP/W components. At the time that I made the purchase, I thought it was an advantage that it came more or less fully assembled: it is effective marketing. I have no complaints about the HOG system, but my advice today from having used it for a couple of years is to look hard at the links provided earlier in the thread, and also consider @The Chairman advice of trying on any full system. I'm 5'9" (and shrinking) and 170#, but my torso length is shorter-than-average (discovered over a long period of finding the right backpacks for backcountry hiking and skiing) and the HOG system in 'regular' size, with all its possible adjustment points, doesn't adjust "down" enough in a couple of hard to describe ways when I'm in warm water (i.e. no wetsuit or drysuit). So even though I bought this system to avoid what I thought might be "too hard", [that is starting with a backplate and 15' of webbing], I now have two more basic BP/W configurations that I use most of the time.

Why I am looking at these systems. I need a harness that has quick disconnects. Shoulder replacements both sides has reduced my range of motion getting arms in/out of harness. Air travel for most diving so looking for light weight and packability. Usually carry bcd, regs, computer, gauges, mask, wetsuit in 22" rollaboard so need compressability. DRIS having great BF sale on the HOG.

Why I am looking at these systems. I need a harness that has quick disconnects.
You should really check out the Zeagle Express Tech. The "deluxe" harness has all that crap. I replaced it with POW (Plain Old Webbing) and the slide at the waist allows for infinite adjustment and quick/easy loosening for doff and donning. I have the same issues and I love mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom