HOG gear in NZ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JaneCope

Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone knows anything about HOG dive gear in NZ. I have read some good reviews of their stuff on here and so, after being somewhat hesitant, I'm on the brink of taking the plunge.

The only thing stopping me from going the erm, whole hog is the servicing aspect. I popped down to my LDS today and they had never heard of them - though that was not surprising.

They said they wouldnt service gear that they dont buy the service packs for. Not sure if that means they would buy it if needed, but it didnt sound that way.

This is hopefully where someone on here comes in. Do any of you have HOG gear and if so how easy is to get it serviced, and where do you go

I own a full fit of HOG gear. I take them to my local LDS for servicing. They did not have a problem servicing them. AND have since starting carrying HOG gear.

For your lds to say no> That is just being short sighted and silly. There is nothing about the HOGs that they could not fix. apparently Dive Rite regs are nearly identical, so if they repair DR regs or Apeks they should have no qualms

Sadly, i don't think this is an uncommon approach out this neck of the woods. There are 2 other dive stores in the area and will try them, hopefully with a different result.

I managed to find a NZ forum where they said it wasn't uncommon for LDS to track the origin of the gear sent to them (by serial number) and refuse to service gear that wasn't bought in NZ. Ho hum...

It appears from their dealer locator that the nearest Hog dealer is 4500 miles away in Hawaii - Island Divers in Honolulu Store Search Locations

[user]cerich[/user] owns the company - maybe PM to see if he has anything set up in NZ yet...

I own one of the fist stages and three of the second stages. The service packs are about $20USD, if they can't service these I'd be very afraid of having them service any other gear, seriously. I'm waiting for another holiday so I can get a matching first stage!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd be willing to bet that there are people in NZ who would service your gear if they could get the kits and are trained techs' A trained tech may not necessarily work for an LDS. Start asking around among independent instructors. Worst case get a few guys to order, get it there, get the tools, the required tech diving certs, and fly me down. I'll teach you to do your own and you won't be a slave to the LDS for service!

Jim, I like your style... though sadly its probably cheaper to keep buying new sets rather than getting you here :p

Thanks for all of the comments and advice. I have been in touch with Dive Pirate who is, as you say the New Zealand dealer. For now that means a choice of 2 places to get gear serviced. That's all the convincing i need for now :D

Well, that was fun whilst it lasted...
100 dives last year and time to get my gear serviced, but the only guy servicing HOG in NZ is shutting shop. Found someone who could do them, but they are unlikely to ever hold service kits in stock due to low demand. I must be the only person in NZ using them lol.

I can sell you the kits. No problem. Out of stock the 1st stages right now but should be in any time. Just curious as to what they are doing that they need a full service? Check the IP and if it's steady and the seconds are working fine no need to service them. Recommended rebuild is 2 years. But if they are working fine no need to do that. You decide when the regs need rebuilt. Just as an aside I have some with a bit more than 100 dives on them and they've not been rebuilt because they don't need it. Keep them clean and rinsed well and enjoy diving them. When you need kits shoot me a message and be happy to take care of you.

Back
Top Bottom