Hog for Travel to Blue Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've done about 70 dives over the last year in my single tank Hog rig. It works really well for me in my local mud pit called Lake Travis.

In 6 (long) months I'll be going on a BlackBeard's trip. I've done this trip 3 times some 10-12 years ago I'm wondering what (if any) changes you all make when traveling for on trips like this.

For me my things to consider are:

Everything that I could possibly want to take is 15lbs in my regulator bag and 35 lbs in a carry on suitcase.

Steel backplate and likely no weight belt or Aluminum backplate and likely weightbelt

Hollis F1 fins or ScubaPro Sport Jet fins

Bring my pony rigging and extra regulator for deep dives / solo dives or leave it at home.

Bring my DRIS 1000 or leave it at home. (Possibly too bright for the reef anyways?)

---------- Post added March 14th, 2013 at 08:47 AM ----------

I guess my question either doesn't make sense or it's a resounding vote for my rig works anywhere as-is.

I would take my normal gear. Oven if that means getting low top boots to go with your open heel fins. Comfort in your gear counts for a lot. The problem is weighting per your airline restrictions on your gear. Getting everything into 50 pounds can be a pain. B

For warm water, I would take AL plate instead of SS. The advantage of needing some weight is that you can place it where you want it. I am leg heavy in wetsuit, I need to put 4-6lb on upper camband for proper trim in warm water. Both of Hollis and Jet are heavy fins. I believe Jets are a little heavier, so I will take Hollis. Again I am leg heavy in wetsuit, so I prefer lighter fins. And do bring DRIS1000, it maybe too bright at night, but definitely not too bright for any day time usage. I can't comment on Pony because I don't use one.

Will they have pony bottles that fit your rig? If not, a stage kit for an AL80 might be more useful.

As it seems like you don't have to worry about your luggage weight, I'd go with the SS backplate. For me, I love just diving with my backplate and no additional weight.

As for the fins, it's hit or miss but I'd take the lighter of the two.

If you have just the rigging and weight/room in your bag it can't hurt to bring the pony rigging and regulator. Even if you don't end up using a pony, you'd still have a spare reg in case you have issues with your primary reg.

Definately bring the DRIS 1000 light, like eelmoraa said, it'll be nice to have during the day.

Enjoy your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom