Hog fins too heavy for shorty wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

84CJ7

Contributor
Reaction score
I love my hog fins to death, but that's with my 7mm full wetsuit.
I am afraid that with their weight if I take them along on a warm water trip with just a shorty wetsuit I will go down by the stern any time I stop finning. I don't have any leg fat to float.
I will still be bringing my old heavy deep sea orca purge neoprene with heavy stiff rubber sole rock boots along to use.

If I had both money and time before I leave I would get a pair of deep6 eddy fins I think but different fins aren't an option.

I do still have my Mares volo power fins but since I went to an old school tech fin I feel like I flop all over the place when I wear them. If the Hog fins will be too heavy I will have to bring the volo's instead.

Need input from others that have used either hog or equivalent weight like the jet fins without any leg bouyancy to counter them.

Take them for a swim in your local pool. I can swim in jet fins, booties and a bikini... but I do have a bit of girlish “leg buoyancy” ;-)

On scuba if you put your arms out in front and frog kick feet up Cave style it moves the weight of the fins inboard quite a bit... body position matters.

Posture too. You can't just relax to the point that you let your knees drop. There needs to be a little tension in your glutes in order to keep things straight from shoulders to knees. After you get body position nailed, then you can think about moving weight forward or back to fix trim problems.

My heavy fins are used in salt water or full wet suit diving only. Other than that the jets stay home and i use my quatros.

I can tell you the Hog Tech 2 fins are .75 lbs each heavier in the medium size than the small/medium Deep6 fins. I use the Hog fins to help balance out my doubles in a drysuit. The Deep6 are too light.

In the caymans with the hog fins now.
They are a bit too stern heavy but totally fine if moving or if I lift my feet when stopped so it’ll do.
Not messing with it any further since for various reasons I am using half rental stuff including bcd for the moment.
Super glad I brought them them though as some unexpected current gusts around reefs in tighter valleys have required some contorted maneuvers and finning that would really suck to do in my Volos without smacking into some coral.

As all my previous diving was cold water with heavy gear I find it’s almost comically easy to dive here.
Someone would have to be trained all over again to go from warm to cold but I feel like a veteran tech diver down here.

I'm different than most divers and need my weight as high up as I can get it. Most divers need heavy fins to counteracht the lift from their butts, I need to to counteract the air in my head.
Found that I'm much better off with OMS Slipstreams instead of the Scubapro Jetfins.

Michael

Back
Top Bottom