HOG D3 Regulators, users reviews?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BORG

Contributor
Reaction score
Tucker, Georgia, just northeast of Atlanta
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of getting another reg. set and have some interest in getting a HOG D3 Yoke. I've read some comments from other users that the 2nd stage is pretty heavy.
How has it been comfort wise for those of you that use them and how are they with breathing at depth? Would you recommend them?
Thanks.

Great reg. I don't find the 2nd heavy at all, light if anything. Breathes as good as or better than anything else I've used. I think Piranha has a deal on them right now.

Also consider Deep6 if you're looking at HOG.

I have both Deep6 and Hog, and find they both work well. I really can't tell the difference and don't find them heavy. Both breathe better than the Aeris/Oceanic setup I started with. They were pretty entry level stuff though.

I'm four months into this D3 set. No issues. My only change has been to add a swivel.

SG swimthru.png

As someone who has been diving them since they came out I would recommend them. As someone who for 10 years taught people to service their own and sold them I would buy them.
I would however, choose the Classic seconds over the Zeniths. I like to be able to press anywhere on the purge button to get air. I especially like that the person I'm donating to can do that. The Zenith, for me, could be problematic with heavy gloves and you have to hit right in the center to purge it. I always recommended the Classic over the Zenith towards the end (last few years of selling them) and they will save you a few bucks.
Another thing about the Zenith is that I used to see a lot of salt and crud buildup on the legs of the trim piece. Yes that is also about user error and attention to detail but the Classic is easier to rinse and care for.
I had six Zeniths at one time and changed all of them over to Classic covers.

I have dove the D3/Zenith now for about 100+ dives and it breathes just as well as my Apeks. I use it primarily on my OTS Spectrum full face mask. I have also used the D1/Classic and its just as good as the D3/Zenith.

Back
Top Bottom