Hog D1X + Classic 2.O Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UCFKnightDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm looking to buy a deco reg and had a couple questions about the Hog D1X 1st stage along with the Classic 2.0 second stage.

1. Are these regs ok to be used with 100% O2 out of the box?

2. I can't find green purge covers (for deco) for the Classic 2.0 second stage but have found a couple of descriptions that say the Classic 2.0 second stage is just a Classic 1.0 second stage with an updated purge cover. Can I use the green Classic 1.0 purge covers with the Classic 2.0 second stage?

3. Are these the regs with the bad HP seats and IP creep?

Thanks,
Ryan

I'm looking to buy a deco reg and had a couple questions about the Hog D1X 1st stage along with the Classic 2.0 second stage.

1. Are these regs ok to be used with 100% O2 out if the box?

2. I can't find green purge covers (for deco) for the Classic 2.0 second stage but have found a couple of descriptions that say the Classic 2.0 second stage is just a Classic 1.0 second stage with an updated purge cover. Can I use the Classic 1.0 purge covers with the Classic 2.0 second stage?

3. Are these the regs with the bad HP seats and IP creep?

Thanks,
Ryan

1. Yes, they are O2 clean out of the box. Up to 100% at 2400 PSI and 80% at 3442.
2. The purge covers can be used but because of the main diaphragm washer and the difference between the silicone cover and the old hard Classic cover, the lever height needs to be adjusted when swapping them and the silicone cover insert is not used.
3. That hasn't been an issue for over 10 years where there was a small batch of seats that were bad. I have zero reports of the new D1x having any issues. The crap that goes around about bad seats and creep is perpetuated by those who still can't get over the business model where you don't need a shop for service and those who lost sales because users didn't have to pay for fancy ads in magazines, fancy boxes, and hoses that ended up being the wrong length for what was needed.

However, the D1 is not recommended for use as a stage or deco reg. This is due to the turret O-ring seal. Only one O-ring is used. If the 1st stage becomes depressurized at depth there is the possibility of water leaking into the reg. This is because the O-ring relies on being pressurized to seal, like that of a tank valve O-ring.
The D3 is not subject to this because it actually has 3-O-rings in the turret assembly.

I recommend the D2 as a stage reg. I have 3 of them for that purpose.
The D2 does not have a turret so no issue with water intrusion at all.
It's more compact and makes a cleaner deco/stage reg set up overall.
Its MAP price is roughly $30 less than the D1 and $100 less than the D3.

Back
Top Bottom