Hog came out with this wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HOG 60lb 360 Bungee Wing - Black

Has anyone used this one? The last time I checked, they used to have only one wing and that was 50lbs lift. Shape and construction was top notch but the inflator hose was not as powerful as others and would take its time to inflate.

Has anyone used this wing or any of the other Hog ones?

They should be. I had those on my Dive Rite classic and I cut them.

My oldest and youngest daughters have a 32lb 360 bungee wing and a 23lb wing, respectively.

The bungee on the 32lb, like the their new 60lb is zigzagged around one face-side of the wing. I have a Dive Rite Voyager wing that has a near identical bungee setup. I have found the bungee does not noticeably restrict the wing from inflating/expanding but when fully deflated it pulls the outer edge in making the wing a little more streamlined.

Whether the bungee is effectively doing anything or is gimmick is debatable. Regardless, it can be quickly and easily removed by unhooking the small plastic clips at each end and pulling it through the little tabs sewn to the shell that keep it in place.

If I was in the market for doubles wing, the new HOG wing would definitely be near the top of my list of considerations. I have no reason to believe their new wing is any less quality than their smaller ones. The company stands behind their product, and in my experience they offer great customer service.

-Z

Some agencies do not allow bungee and I realized why when it got caught. Penetration divers hate it.

As for hog wings, it was the inflator that I was concerned about. Did you notice that it was inflating slower than others?

I have all three sized wings (23, 32 and 60). For single tank i like the 32 because it fits well and has enough lift to make cold water weighting feasible. I bought the 60 for my doubles and it works great. I prefer doughnut to horseshoe. I noticed it can be used for single tank as well, so i gave it a try and it feels ok in single configuration, but has more drag and is unessessarily large for just one tank. As for the inflator, it works as well as the other brands i have and have used.

Some agencies do not allow bungee and I realized why when it got caught. Penetration divers hate it.

As for hog wings, it was the inflator that I was concerned about. Did you notice that it was inflating slower than others?

some serious misinformation going on here.

Hog makes (or has made) several sized of wings. I own a couple 32# wings and have never had an issue with them.

If wing bungees “don’t do anything” then why bother to cut them off.

I will let the GUE folks explain why they prefer a non bungee wing...

I have and have used the three main types of wings. Horseshoe, donut, and donut-w/bungees.

My take:
Horseshoe.. works fine.. simple.. with practice, you can control the gas/lift shift from side to side.
Donut... also works ok.. harder to control the bubble from shifting. IMHO...

Donut w bungees: this is what I dive for backmount most often. *Dive Rite EXP doubles wing.
works great., for me at least, the bungees keep the large wing tucked in tight. I feel NO bubble shift, and it dives a lot more streamlined than either of my non bungee wings.
*and FWIW, the bungees pull out in like 15 seconds. No need to cut away anything.

I dive the 60 pound wing....Love it. I dive for artifacts in high current and I am over weighted to keep me in place. I am wearing close to 50 pounds of lead and diving a 133 steel in 35 ft or less of dark water. No problem on it lifting me....I never did dive it with the standard inflator so I cant comment on that.

50lbs of lead...wow!
:eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom