Hog analog gauge...reported problems???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaERDoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking to complete by first set of complete gear...the last piece is the SPG. I feel that consoles in big plastic boots are totally heavy above water (and adds weight when traveling), and I have my eye on the HOG black SPG. It looks amazing and I was just about to buy it...but then found many reviews on SB and other websites as to problems of leaking and corrosion. See review sections on link below:

HOG Gear Black Face Luminescent SPG - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

Has HOG addressed these issues by now??

I've been using one for the last 30 dives or so. No problems so far, does what it's supposed to do and it is really easy to read.

FWIW, I heard that all these brass & glass SPGs are made by the same factory in Italy. Any problems would not be confined to Hog.

Hmmm. I wonder how common these leaks and corrosive incidents are. Are you finding that brass and glass is a durable SPG, resistant to a few knocks around the boat? Seems like the boot would add some protection... wouldn't help the leaks though. Hate to have to call a day of diving because my SPG of all things is leaking!

They look and feel very durable, I haven't tried standing on it (yet :wink:) but I guess it would easily survive that. I keep it clipped to the harness so it never has the chance to stray far away and get damaged somehow. If you are concerned about leaks, put a spare spool in your save-a-dive kit. They cost two dollars or so.

20 dives on mine and no probs yet. In my search, there seemed to be a consensus that a rubber boot adds to corrosion due to water being trapped inside, or salt water not getting completely flushed out.

I have fixed three of these and none was due to the gauge itself leaking. The ones I took care of had one thing in common. Little or no lube on the o rings of the hp spool. None of these were ones I sold. They had been assembled by the divers themselves or by an unknown to me dealer. In one.case the diver was not informed that he needed to lube the o rings generously. This is not just for HOG gauges but any spg I have ever owned or serviced gets a goodly amount of lube and except for one where the oring just split, looked good when I put it in, I have not had issues with leaking or corrosion. These are dynamic orings and need to be kept lubed with any spg. Saltwater plays hell on connections if not rinsed well and I plan on taking the spg off and cleaning and lubing at the end of every saltwater trip.

I also replaced one that the user reported had a loose faceplate glass. How it happened I'm not sure. They called me, I called HOG and he sent me a new gauge to send to her with no questions asked. The company in italy that makes these gauges has produced perhaps millions of them over the years. Even with the best quality control it is possible for a few of those to get through with problems. Just simple math. And then there are always factors the mfg or distributor cannot control. Shipping companies, baggage handlers (why I always carry mine on), and sometimes even divers don't handle them properly.

But what I do know is if you buy one from me with a hose I will properly assemble and lube it. Pack it to the best of my ability for shipping, and every gauge I sell with a hose comes with an extra set of lubed orings for the spool. And myself and HOG/Edge stand behind it.

And just an FYI, mine are over a year old and one has about hundred dives and maybe 50 hours in the pool on it. No leaks, no corrosion. Over the last 5 years or so that I have been servicing regs I've seen a few gauges - brass and plastic that have failed. The bulk of them, perhaps 95%, have been due to improper or in some cases no care of them by the end user(s).

Boots I'm ambivalent about. They do add to maintenance, do offer some protection, and can be ok in some situations. I have both booted and naked spgs, and just for clean looking set ups prefer the bare guage.

Sent from my DROID

Boots don't offer that much protection. What will 1mil of HARD plastic protect your SPG from?
I've banged my glass multiple times (never on purpose) and it's still working good.
I'd go with naked SPG. 2.5in seems excessively large. I'd go smaller but not with the plastic one. (personal preference)

It's not an issue with HOG. It is an issue with caring for the gauge IMO. As stated before, HOG does not manufacturer these. All of them are going to be made by pretty much one Italian company and then just badged as a brand. I have HOG, OMS, and Dive Rite. All no boot. I have beat some of them up pretty good without issue. One reason not to use a boot IMO is that if you dive salt water, rinsing them is harder to do. I rinse the heck out of mine and have hundreds of dives on them, both fresh and salt. Some are ten years old, no issue out of any of them. In fact, I just ordered 2 more HOG SPG's a couple days ago.

I have 3 sets of HOG gear and well over 100+ dives on them and never have had a problem. Like most things if you to not install them right and protect them from getting dropped/hit they can fail. If you store and transport in protected bags and set them up and make sure they do not get bashed by a tank or another diver they will be a long term piece of gear. Like Jim said you have to properly lube them and service them each year to make sure that the O-ring does not fail. This failure is normally due to lack of training or attention to detail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom