HMCS Saskatchewan - June 7

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradnerBoy

Contributor
Reaction score
Last weekend we dove the Saskatchewan. It was AMAZING. Very low tide, great vis, tons of life and this little guy: Wolf eel out in the open.

On the previous dive, he was observed in the aft mortar bay swimming around in the open, but on our second dive, we spotted him lounging around completely out in the open.

Sounds great, I'm headed out there for a 3 days this weekend, we'll keep and eye out for the wolf eel. What was the temp and vis like?

Sounds great, I'm headed out there for a 3 days this weekend, we'll keep and eye out for the wolf eel. What was the temp and vis like?
The temp was almost 50F at the bottom and the vis was great @ 40'+

Who are you going out with?

Wow, practically tropical! Let's hope the vis holds on for a few more days. We're diving with Diver's Choice on Friday and then back with them for Saturday and Sunday along with some old friends from Ocean Pro Divers. We seem to run into that crew everytime I go out there!

Andrew

I don't see Wolf Eels out in the open often and if they are they are usually close to a den or some other cover like kelp. Very cool encounter. I also liked your seal videos. Great videos, my kids aren't dive age but it's fun to show them stuff like that.
Looks like you had a great couple of trips.

It isn't a big deal but if your camera will let you it's nice to set the white balance before you take a video. You can use a plumose anemone to make the setting if it's handy.

It isn't a big deal but if your camera will let you it's nice to set the white balance before you take a video. You can use a plumose anemone to make the setting if it's handy.
I believe the WB setting only applies to the stills, not the video. Maybe I'll get a spare LED dive light and strap it onto the camera or strobe for video.

Unless you are shooting macro video you need multiple BIG lights for video work, because you are continuously lighting up a large area. Someone has shone their light on the head of the wolf eel in your video, it covers maybe 5% of the frame. That is what you could expect from a "spare" LED attached to the camera.

Unless you are shooting macro video you need multiple BIG lights for video work, because you are continuously lighting up a large area. Someone has shone their light on the head of the wolf eel in your video, it covers maybe 5% of the frame. That is what you could expect from a "spare" LED attached to the camera.
Or perhaps a couple of these Seasun LED panels :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom