Hive mind help please.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, it was pretty straight forward. Got an antigen COVID-19 test at a local First Care clinic, results within about 2 hours, paid for by my insurance, and that served to help get me there. Did have to pay for the test done at CocoView Resort needed for re-entry to the U.S. Your main hurdle with a short-term time horizon is CocoView's popularity; will they have a week when you can go? There are other dive operators in Roatan, including 'all in one' type setups.

One other option; Trailboss123 recently posted a Juliet live-aboard trip report for the Bahamas. I haven't heard of them running the big sales like Aggressor Fleet does, so I'd have no hesitancy to book with them if they've got a slot when you want to go, and you happen to want a live-aboard.

Up to 3k per person? Curacao and stay at Sunscape. Their house reef is better than 90% of the reefs I have dove through The Caribbean. Jorge, the onsite dive shop manager, and Norma the bartender at the pool made sure my vacation was the best dive vacation ever. You can dive 24/7. Wake up at 2am and can't sleep? Yup, go splash and tell the Lionfish your problems. The Reef is perfect for any diver from brand new to Jacques Cousteau.

Our boat dives were canceled at mid week due to Covid but it really didn't matter. I had over 15 hours on the house Reef from 20 feet to 168 feet and it never got old. The food was great, staff was incredible, and the diving was simply spectacular.

Cozumel will always be my second home, and I normally don't like all inclusives, but Curacao was worth the extra $$$ and 3 hour longer flight.

Safe travels,
Jay

Where are ABC and the Bay Islands?

They lie South of the “usual” path of Caribbean Hurricanes, even more insulated as the season wears on.

CA9EE501-3C67-450C-ADFA-5B71D4CD0A07.jpeg

This is truly the single biggest and most important part of your question, the August part of the equation.

“What” is ABC and the Bay Islands? Aruba Bonaire Curaçao ...and... Roatan Guanaja Utila.

The storms most often track in a clockwise path curving NW to NE after making Equatorial entry into the Caribbean. Those specific islands, again, lie to the South of that arc. August is a crap shoot.

BTW- with a vax card, no test required for entry into Roatan.

At a budget of $3k you have the run of the Caribbean. The answers here will reflect that.

2500 to 3000 per person for a week ? nice. mine is 2500 per person for two weeks. so you should be able to have a very nice holiday !!

Hi

Looking for suggestions from all you knowledgeable SB folks...
Timeframe - a one week trip in the first half of August
Traveling from - Albuquerque NM.
Experience - PADI rescue divers, I have 125 (?) dives, wife has about half that.
Interests - all of it really. Not cave or wreck certified (yet) but enjoy a nice cavern or a swim through. Reefs and drifts, obviously. May take some classes on this trip.

So given the time of year, current travel situation etc - where should we go?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Definitely Buddy Dive in Bonaire.

Well thanks everyone for your contributions - I love the depth of knowledge around here. In the end we decide to hedge our bets and go to Playa, mostly for the sake of logistics. It is easy to get to from here, and gives us access to both reefs and cenotes. If the weather craps out, it seems like a better place to be stuck than Cozumel. Bonaire, Roatan, Belize, Curacao...all filed away for a future, longer trip.

They lie South of the “usual” path of Caribbean Hurricanes, even more insulated as the season wears on.

View attachment 665458

This is truly the single biggest and most important part of your question, the August part of the equation.

“What” is ABC and the Bay Islands? Aruba Bonaire Curaçao ...and... Roatan Guanaja Utila.

The storms most often track in a clockwise path curving NW to NE after making Equatorial entry into the Caribbean. Those specific islands, again, lie to the South of that arc. August is a crap shoot.

BTW- with a vax card, no test required for entry into Roatan.

At a budget of $3k you have the run of the Caribbean. The answers here will reflect that.

Thanks, that map is a handy resource.

In the end we decide to hedge our bets and go to Playa

i know playa pretty well. if you need help choosing a place to stay in town, feel free to shoot me a private message anytime

I book when there's a big sale, like last November. So I wouldn't do a live-aboard this August unless you catch a big sale (I'd say 25% or better).

Where would I keep an eye out for these?

Where would I keep an eye out for these?
Sign up for the email list for Aggressor, or whatever LOB companies you might be interested in. Some of lists of dive travel agencies are also good for hearing current deals. Maybe follow them on social media like Facebook.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom