History of Balanced Regulators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natanlapl

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi, I am looking into the development of SCUBA regulator innovations and their history. Does anybody know the first brand or reg to offer or evolve to a balanced system? Otherwise some examples of older balanced regulators would be cool.
Thank you.

Single or double hose? If single, first or second stage?
Well all would be interesting, but specifically single hose first stage, unless 2nd stage balancing came first?

I have read that US Divers Royal master 1964 was first balanced double hose?

Like most things in diving, balanced regulator designs were used in industry for a long time before being applied to the diving market — mostly in laboratory and precision control applications.
Is there a recognizable introduction of the technology to scuba? I will have a research into pre scuba too thank you.

Well all would be interesting, but specifically single hose first stage, unless 2nd stage balancing came first?
Aqualung Calypso in 1961.

It gets a little confusing with the Calypso because Aqualung later used that name on a first and second stage combo that had an unbalanced piston first stage.

The Calypso was used by Hannes Keller to set several depth records in the early '60s, included his ill-fated (for another diver) 1000' dive.

@Akimbo posted this a few years ago:
full-jpg.414959

If you want to know more about the regulator, @John C. Ratliff has and has dived this reg and a version that was sold under the Voit name.

If you want to know more about Hannes Keller, you could start with this very interesting thread: Hannes Keller's 1,000' Dive . Diving legend and scubaboard regular @Sam Miller III was actually there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom