History Lesson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sintax604

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I found a copy of the book "141 Dives in the protected water of Washington and BC" at a garage sale this weekend - for a buck!. It's the 1977 edition and while it may not be as useful as I had hoped, it sure is an interesting read.

I am quite surprised by all the changes that have occurred over the last 32 years - including the fact that only 10 dives have been added over the years. I thought I'd share a couple tidbits with you:

-Overall, water levels seem to be higher now than they used to be - the max depth for the tip of Whyte islet is listed as 60 feet - I've been to 90' there and still had room below

-Whytecliff used to have a marina and wharf (explains the pilings) and diving wasn't permitted between the marina and the islet from Apr. 1st until Sept. 30th

-There is mention of sightings of red irish lords and squid at The Cut - anybody seen these around there recently?

-There were no wrecks at Porteau yet but there's mention of a couple railcars at 130'

-Copper Cove still had an intact wharf which divers used to jump from for an easy entry

-There's no mention of Ansell or Kelvin

Anyway, just thought you might find it as interested as I did. I can't wait to check out some more new sites and see what else has changed.

Overall, water levels seem to be higher now than they used to be - the max depth for the tip of Whyte islet is listed as 60 feet - I've been to 90' there and still had room below

That is interesting, they were doing pretty limited dives if they never exceeded 60'. The best part of that dive starts at 80', though I have heard that when the marina was there, most of the sponges were not there.

There is mention of sightings of red irish lords and squid at The Cut - anybody seen these around there recently?

I'm pretty sure I've seen Red Irish Lords more than once at The Cut. I've never seen squid anywhere.

Do you have a copy of 151 to compare it too?

Is this the Red Irish Lord? I've seen exactly the same fish twice at Ogden Point in Victoria, somewhere between dive points 4 and 3...

PICT0729.JPG
PICT0730.JPG

That would be it. I have seen a few between Whyte Cliff and Kelvin Grove

Back
Top Bottom