Hiss and a pop when attaching my reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought a used yolk Faber MP-100 tank this past summer and lost the o-ring about 7 dives into the season. I replaced it with a viton 013, as the 014 seemed too large. I don’t use nitrox in the tank, but I do in my LP 85s, so viton was what I had in my save-a-dive kit. Since replacing the o-ring I usually get a hiss and a pop when I attach my reg, then it seals. I have had no gas leaking during dives and I haven’t lost any more o-rings. What am I doing wrong?
Mods, if this should be somewhere else feel free to move it.

Thanks,

Erik

I bought a used yolk Faber MP-100 tank this past summer and lost the o-ring about 7 dives into the season. I replaced it with a viton 013, as the 014 seemed too large. I don’t use nitrox in the tank, but I do in my LP 85s, so viton was what I had in my save-a-dive kit. Since replacing the o-ring I usually get a hiss and a pop when I attach my reg, then it seals. I have had no gas leaking during dives and I haven’t lost any more o-rings. What am I doing wrong?
Mods, if this should be somewhere else feel free to move it.

Thanks,

Erik
The 013 is about 0.063 inches smaller in Inside Diameter than a 014. So what you are experiencing is the loss of gas while the yoke is sealing, then the o-ring compresses and all is well. Except it is not as good a seal as the correct size, and might fail sooner. I'd just use a 014. After a single yoke attaching and pressurizing, it will get pushed into the grove and fit fine.

Thanks for the quick response, @tursiops, I’ll give it a try. I originally started to put a 014in it, but there was so much of it hanging out of the groove that I was afraid it would be cut. The 013, on the other hand, fit right in with no problem (which should have been my first clue that it was the wrong size).

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone, including you, @Marie13, for your input on my problem. I just replaced the 013 with a 014 and, using @JackD342 ’s tip, got it into the groove far enough that I could put the reg on, turn on the pressure, and push it the rest of the way into the groove, just like @tursiops said to. No more hiss and pop! This, hopefully, will keep me from hearing the loud pop and loss of gas that @northernone mentioned.

Safe diving!

Back
Top Bottom