His Lovely Bride - Marian Bower

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSam

Sister of Shenanigans
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Marian's husband Dave, SB handle Teamcasa, always referred to Marian as "My lovely bride". Dave has been a SB moderator long before I joined SB. Both have not been on SB much these last few years because life got in the way of SB time.

Given I am not a family member, I hesitated to post about Marian's passing but felt strongly that there should be some space on SB about Marian's passing and to pay respect. Dave and His Lovely Bride were great ambassadors for our sports and always willing to meet up and/or dive with a fellow SBer from out of town. They were generous with their time and their friendship, even to strangers from out of town who I asked them to meet cause they needed a buddy.

I was fortunate to meet them both through SB. When they heard I would be in CA to dive Catalina, they met my buddy Carmen and I at the Catalina Express. We did a few cold dives while on Catalina Island, and later that week we also dove Yukon and Ruby E with them. Dave and His Lovely Bride would hold hands underwater which was beyond touching to witness. They were responsible for my first In and Out Burger experience. I let them order for me and with a mischievous glint in their eyes, they ordered some double double animal sauce thingy. Yummy!

On that same CA trip, Marian strong-armed me to attend the Chambers dinner benefiting The USC Catalina Hyperbaic Chamber. I was delighted that I went cause I met many SBers and it felt more like a "scuba prom" than a benefit dinner. Dave and His Lovely Bride knew everyone at the benefit dinner. I remembered thinking this must be what it would be like if I were on tour with rock stars.

Years later when I was in CA to see family, Dave and Marian drove many hours out of their way to meet up with my sister and I. Can't remember the restaurant or the food, only the laughter and the stories we exchanged. My sister remarked after meeting Dave and Marian, that I know the nicest scuba divers. Yes, I do.

Last week, I wrote to Marian, telling her that in a world that can be so cruel, it was reassuring to witness a love like hers, along with her commitment to family, friends, community, and her faith. She was an exceptional woman, and I will miss my friend. Keep Dave and Marian's loved ones, in your thoughts and prayers as they navigate life without His Lovely Bride.

In lieu of flowers, the family is asking that a donation be made to the City of Hope in her name. A FB page has been setup for donations if you feel incline to do so.
Marian Bower's Memorial fundraiser for City of Hope

Group shot from Catalina Island of the group of SBers. Left to Right: Brian, Carmen, Dr Bill, Sam, Elena, Dave hovering behind Elena, and Marian.
Group.jpg

Another group shot from Catalina Island. Left to Right: Brian, Carmen, Dr Bill, Elena, Marian, Sam.
pic7.jpg

I'm so very sad to read this. My sincerest condolences to Dave and the entire family.

Great tribute, Sam.

Sending Dave and Family positive thoughts.

No words of mine will help.

:hugs:

Very nicely said, Sam. It was with great sadness that I learned on Facebook of Marian's passing. I had been following her battle with cancer on Facebook. She and Dave were/are wonderful people and very giving of themselves not only with the SCUBA community but with church activities and other aspects of their lives. When my cancer struck back in 2016, Dave and Marian visited me in the hospital and gave me an autographed copy of Clive Cussler's Pirate. So appropriate since Clive got his start in the SoCal dive community.

Marian's warmth and spirit will be greatly missed by all who knew her. I have already offered my condolences to Dave and the family. I wish them the strength of their faith in facing this sad loss.

When my cancer struck back in 2016, Dave and Marian visited me in the hospital and gave me an autographed copy of Clive Cussler's Pirate. So appropriate since Clive got his start in the SoCal dive community.
Such a considerate gift!

Glad to see you're doing well.

I am so sorry to learn about this. Dave was quite active on ScubaBoard when I first started, and I remember him well, even though I never got to meet him.

I never got to meet them in person, but I was frequently able to see their light shining bright, as they tackled all of life's challenges together, full of hope and love. They gave back so much to the world, it really set the bar very high for the rest of us. We should all aspire to be like them, and I am so incredibly sorry to hear of Marian's passing. Prayers for the family!

Every time I went to California for the Scuba Show, we all had dinner together. She was so awesome in so many ways, and this is such sad news to hear.

I remember that she was so kind to me at the memorial when Kimber passed.
Marian and Dave's love for each other has always been so apparent, inspirational even , and both have been so kind to everyone they meet .. roll models for us all <3

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom