Hip Pocket for BP/W to store long hose behind

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigeclipse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All,
I dive BP/W with 7' long hose in singles and doubles. I love the long hose. Right now I use either a dive knife on the right hip to loop my long hose around or I tuck the long hose in my waist band. I want to try out using a pocket on the 2inch webbing. Looking for options and opinions. I do mainly cold water diving so being able to open the pocket with thick gloves is a must. I would prefer the pocket have some sort of daisy chain capability but that is not a deal breaker and of course last but not least cheaper the price the better since I am not positive I will like this type set-up anyways. Thanks!

I use the Dive Rite Vertical Zip Pocket With Daisy Chain. I see they also have a Velcro version, which might be preferable for use with gloves. Because it is sort of floppy, I put a plastic card inside it to stiffen it. Works like a charm to retain the long hose.

I have a DiveRite bellows pocket on my waist belt. It has an internal cord and 4-5 external webbing loops/lashings. My only complaint is the velcro can be a real pain to open completely. I'm not sure if that's because the whole thing swings up as you pull the flap open, but for whatever reason it's much harder to pull open than the velcro pocket glued to my thigh. I think a zipper (with a bungie loop to grab with gloves on) would be better for a waist pocket.

Thought I had misunderstood your question but after reading tbone response apparently not. Granted I don't have a lot of dives, but I've never had an issue with my long hose coming out of my waist belt. I'll just give the belt a quick adjustment when I get to depth to compensate for the compression of my wetsuit. But to each their own

Last edited:
I just tuck mine into the waist strap if I'm not using a canister.... I don't like waist mounted pockets as they are harder to access than thigh pockets for me.

Halcyon makes a good hip pocket. Their older zipper one is legit too but might not be great with thick gloves.

I went the other way. I found that tucking the hose under a pocket inevitably resulted in the hose coming out. Tucking it in my waist band makes the hose lay flatter and keeps it out of the way.

In going the pocket route, my thinking was that tucking it under the pocket is similar to tucking it under a canister light, which I did not yet have, and I wanted to get used to the feel of tucking it under something. Tucking it inside the waist belt is fine, but I like the consistency between dives in which I have a canister light and dives in which I substitute the pocket. The pocket slides on and can be retained with a buckle just like a canister light. If having a pocket is secondary to simply having a place to tuck the hose, something like this silly-expensive solution will work: Extreme Exposure

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom