Hip mount canister light stay ideas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Candiru

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a small canister light that I mount on my right hip. I had been using an extra buckle as a stay to keep the light in place. The buckle ends up digging into my right hip. Does anybody have an alternative solution?

I use one of these. Of course it means the canister light becomes non ditchable. Despite the blurb saying you need King Kong strength to close and open it's actually not that hard. When I'm done diving for the the day I just slide it off the webbing. It's much easier to open the clip when it's off the webbing. I've been using these for a couple of years without issue.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/hardware/webbing.shtml#662

I have a small canister light that I mount on my right hip. I had been using an extra buckle as a stay to keep the light in place. The buckle ends up digging into my right hip. Does anybody have an alternative solution?

I carry my light exactly as you describe and it's fine for me.

I have this for sale, $10, see if it can fit in your plate.
Picture 023.jpg

If your plate has enough holes run a loop of surgical tubing or 3/16 bungee through it. Then just loop it over the canister. Cheap, easy, and fast.

I like that idea, I'm going to try it tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

I forgot to mention that it's a uwld light with the dive rite Style quick belt mount. I can use a non removable stay and still be able to ditch the light. I will give the bungee a try. I'm also going to try a large oring as used on the stealth I am also interested in butt mounting it but I'm not sure how this would affect trim with a back mounted single. I butt mount with I use my stealth so I have their small bungee plate in addition to the quick belt release.

You can get these "shoulder pads" as well as a few D rings. I have a mix of these pads (cut into several sections) and D rings made to slide onto webbing for my utility belt. Works great, the padding keeps it from digging in, and it keeps all the D rings, my can light (I wear it on my belt too) and other items exactly where I want them to be.

http://www.diverite.com/products/catalog/backplatesandharnesses/bc1086b

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom