Hilma Hooker penetration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone ever gone inside? I do not mean the swim through but deeper penetration.

Quick search and I found this video.

Looks tight as hell.

Quick question for the experienced, Is kicking everything in the wreck normal when penetrating? I'm not knocking this video, just curious how it should or would be done.

The first minute or so is not the Hilma Hooker, looks like a night dive on the Cooper’s Barge.

The finning could be more controlled for sure.

To me, the first dive seems to be on the little tug that is off the old Sunset Beach Hotel. I think it is the site called Front Porch. It`s been down there for at least 30 years. Maximum depth at 87 feet. First ocean dives I ever did about 27 years ago.

If by "Coopers Barge" you mean the one out from WEB that I know as Coopers Barge, just north of DFB Oasis store, then no that's not it. The barge out from WEB is upright, bow in about 110', stern in about 140', no buoys attached to it this past Aug.

I don't recommend penetrating any hooker without protection. With that said, I do recommend a full rash guard or suit if you are going in. Some of the passages in the engine room are pretty tight and there are stingy things growing all over the place. I don't recommend penetrating any wreck without proper instruction and training, while the hooker is pretty benign things can happen. At one point while going into the engine room you are actually under the engine. Due to the position of the wreck the engine is actually hanging from it's mounts. This thing has been down there rusting for over twenty five years and the engine probably weighs over twenty thousand pounds. It's kind of like playing russian roulette, the engine mounts may last another 100 years with the weight of the engine pulling at them in a direction that they were not designed for. The engine mounts may also not like the bubbles that are disturbing them on the particular day that you are there. Go in at your own risk. These are the thoughts that went through my head when I was under the engine, I probably won't go there again. There are plenty of other passages to explore with easy egress if the proverbial faecal matter blows into the air circulator.

Someone had to say it.
I still want a shirt that says "I penetrated the Hilma Hooker" with a picture of the wreck on the back.

Better yet, " I hit that hooker deep"
Followed in finer print by Hilma Hooker, Bonaire NA.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom