High pressure or low pressure tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think ripped off is way too harsh here. Looking on Leisurepro, a HP117 and LP95 are the same price. Without knowing this poster or witnessing any of the conversation, I am not willing to say this is anything more than a miscommunication. If the poster really wants a 117, then the shop should allow him to exchange the lp95 or get a full refund.

I think the fact that this shop is willing to do overfills is great, and I would probably take the lp95 over the 117, but that is me.

I don't think it is too harsh at all. He asked for a price match on a specific tank, not a substitute. It has nothing to do with relative prices on different tanks on Leisure Pro. Regardless of whether you, I, or anyone else may think it is equivalent value, the tank he was given was misrepresented to him. He asked for a 117 and essentially was told, don't worry, same thing when it clearly isn't. If it was what he wanted he would not have posed his discomfort with the bait and switch here. Even if that LDS will do overfills, and even if he is OK with treating a LP tank as a HP tank (not everyone is, and the poster is not sure he is either), that doesn't help if he travels with it and now no longer has the capacity he intended to buy.

Just to clear the air on what happened... I went back to the LDS and after discussing the issue the LDS offered a full refund. There was no intent to defraud or mislead it was just some simple miscommunication. The LDS is owned by a great family and I will continue to shop there and as alway I will give them first shot at a price match or even a close price match. I do believe in supporting small businesses and my LDS.

don't ask for the refund, just ask him to give you the tank you asked for. The only issue is that while he may have been doing you a favor while you're diving in NFL because you get a bit more gas out of a LP95, as soon as you go to a shop that will only fill it to its working pressure you are sol....

I currently own Worthington Hp100’s and Hp120’s. My Hp100’s are my favorite tanks, but I kind of wish they made a 110. The 100’s are a tad bit too short and my 120’s area little too long to be perfect for my 5’10” “longish” torso. I love my “Worthy” single tanks, but actually would create a 110 if I was the XS scuba tank engineer if that makes sense! I have dove the Faber HP100’s and they are perfect length-wise for me, but they hold less air for the overall length compared to the XS/Worthy’s. Yes I am being a little picky and 10 CF isn’t much gas, but I do like galvanized tanks and self-draining boots!!!!

less air for length shouldn't matter, it's air vs. weight....

Either way your 100's are 24"x33lbs and the 120s are 28"x38lbs

26" galvanized tanks as follows. Also, boots are interchangeable between brands btw and should still come off during rinsing

These are all 8" diameter tanks btw
PST104 x 46lbs
Worthington 108 x 43lbs
PST130 x 43lbs
Worthington 130 x 43lbs

Worthington 85's are 25" and 7" diameter x 34 lbs
PST 95's are the same x 44lbs

quite a few in that ballpark.
Question is are you willing to carry some more weight for the better tank height and gas volume. At 5'10" you should be perfect for the 100's backmounted though, and nowhere near tall enough for the 120's.

sorry, thought that was wrong, but was reading off of the TDL site. I could have sworn the Worthy's were shorter than my PST's. Trust but verify. Have to get Joel to update that.he 24.7 to 25" was just rounding to nominal, those ones were right on the site, the rest of the information was taken straight from there.

Anyway, on that front, if the Worthingtons are too short, try the PST100's, either the E7's if you can find them or the skinny neck true HP's, they are 24"x7.25" and will give you a little extra. E7's are a smidge taller and a pound lighter, but rather difficult to find.

I love my 100s and they are my main “go to” tanks when I am able to dive with my own tanks. I think one reason they seem a little short to me is the fact that the majority of my dives are actually with aluminum 80s. This is due to me usually flying to the diving destinations and using what is provided on the charter boats. I do have a long torso for my height, so the 120s aren’t ridiculously long for me, but they are a little longer than I would prefer. Anyway, I am happy with my tanks and they work well for my style of diving.

If you're worried about getting HP tanks filled to capacity, call your local shops and find out first. I knew one of them would fill mine to 3600psi because they're more oriented for technical diving, but the other one mostly sells manatee tours and basic OW gear, so I called them too and they said they could do to about 3400psi. Kid didn't sound real sure of himself over the phone though. Sucks because the more rec-oriented store has a 15 foot deep pool they let you test gear in when you buy it to make sure you like it..

Back
Top Bottom