HID: 10w vs. 24w vs. 40w

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blahblahblah

Registered
Reaction score
This is an unfair comparison between 40w, 24w, and 10w HIDs. It does however show the differences in the 3 wattage categories.

The 3 contenders are:

10w Dive Rite flashlight
24w Brightstar Darkbuster
40w Polarion Helios PH40

All of these lights are rated for underwater use beyond the recreational diving limits. They may not suit technical divers.

Here's the pics:

dsc00858ua8.jpg

Left to right: 10w, 24w, 40w
dsc00853me6.jpg

Purposefully underexposed: 10w in center bottom position
dsc00854ev6.jpg

NOTE: I am not a good photographer and don't claim to be one. The pics were taken around noon so it was bright outside and the window shades were open. The pics and lights are about 12' from the wall.

Its not that bad of a comparison. Seems like that darkbuster really puts out a lot of lumens per dollar. The Polarion sure kick out a ton of light. But the price....
BTW, what is the color temp of the Polarion bulb?

One guy on CPF says it's about mid-3500s.

Here's the thread:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1603638

The manufacturer's pre-production spec sheet claims 4300K. I'd be willing to guess that this is higher than actual. The beam is quite a bit yellower than 4300K lights that I've seen and whiter than many 3500k incans that I've seen.

Spec sheet:
http://www.polarion-store.com/files/Helios-Specifications.pdf

My GUESS is 3800K.

On another note: although this color temp will not penetrate water as good as a higher temp, it provides better color rendition.

Back
Top Bottom