Hi from N.E. Fla. newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greyface

Reaction score
I'm planning to go for OW cert. in Nov.,(enjoy freediving my whole life) do you think I should wait till after cert. to buy my gear? There are what seems like some good deals around on used equip. I'm very eager to get started. I'm mostly interested in spearfishing. Around here, ya gotta go out to around 80'-100' to get any decent visability. Any suggestions for a 43 yr old rookie? I want to do this RIGHT! Thanks in advance!

I know that you wwill get different opinions greyface, but mine is... wait till you finish your class then try as much different gear as you can get your hands on. Then make the decision based on your trials.

And welcome from the Northwest!

-kate

I 2nd that. I would wait until done with the OW and then try out as much gear as I could get my hands on, but then again if I came upon some nice used gear I would most likly take a look at it. Make sure with used gear you get the service logs or ask that it get serverice at their expense and at a LDS of your choice. If they refuse then there is something up with the gear.

I'll third whats been said, Try as much different equipment as you can before you buy. What I ended up buying, is a lot different than the first list of equipment I thought I wanted (and I thought I had really done my research too!)Trying it in the water is the best test.

43 is a great age to start diving, That's when I started. Now my wife and son are diving too!

Have fun, enjoy!!

Tavi

Hey Greyface,

Welcome to the boards, and have fun.

To answer your question, please be wary of red herrings when you buy your gear used. I have been both pleased and ticked off... even coming from the same person! Make sure the BC doesn't leak, is not too old (look for them thar CO2 cartridges... a SURE sign), and try to make the reg purchase a new one. Sometimes, when you have the reg serviced, as you should after buying it, you will find that the overhaul price can be prohibitively high. I was given a Cousteau/Micra combo that nearly cleaned me out. I was quite happy that it was a gift, and not a buy!!!

In contrast, the Cousteau/Micra combo that I bought new has not cost me much at all to maintain. I have cleaned it after every dive and really make sure it is protected. Rent until you can purchase exactly what you want in a reg... new if at all possible!

Wow! Thanks for the hospitality! I'm just chomping at the bits to get started. It's funny how one rationalizes things in their own head. A little voice in my left ear: "Go ahead, the ad sez $2800 worth of gear for $400. How can you go wrong? Right ear: "You already know the bc is too small, and you got quoted $160 to service the reg., listen to the folks on the board w/ experience! Thanks, it's futile to argue with experience.
FWIW, here's the deal: Scuba Pro triview mask, Sea Wing fins, Scuba Pro G-250 reg., Oceanic DataMax dive computer, US Divers bc med, misc gear inc. cost $2800 will sell for $400. The ad's been in the paper a month that I know of. They droped the price from $600. Sorry about my ramblings...
I'm just excited!

There is no way that they spent $2800 for what you have listed. On top of this the BC won't fit you? You can get set up for NEW for about a grand (sans computer) and then add as you go along. Heck, my first purchases came from Diver's World here in Orlando. Saved me a bundle, but I am never sure the person I am talking to knows their but from any other orifice.

Just out of curiosity, what do you have right now??? Mask, fins, snorkle, and wet-suit???

Hey NetDoc, thanks for the advise. $2800 seemed steep to me as well. I will wait until I know what I need. Yeah, all I have now is mask, fins, & snorkel. Only the fins are decent, last yr I bought some TUSA Imprex fins. They work well.
I spent last 2 days camping/snorkeling a local borrow pit. Nuttin special, just good to get wet.

Hi Greyface - just wanted to say welcome from Thailand! I don't need to answer your question about equipment purchase because you've got all you need right up there. I would also wait till after certification before buying anything.

Best of luck with your OW and don't forget to come back and tell us about it.

:)

Back
Top Bottom