Hi, from LI, NY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WillM64

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Glad to join the forum. Looking forward to interacting with folks.

Hello from a native of Yonkers. Do you dive locally on L.I.?

I haven't yet. I recently took a Nitrox class with Hampton Dive in Riverhead and thought they were excellent. You should check out their site, they post some of their activities.

What I learned from my instructor is that it's mostly wreck diving here. Not sure I can wrap my head around investing in a dry suit. I realize I love the warm water and good viz.

Welcome! From your dive profile listing, I see "Egypt, Thailand, Baja, Bonaire and Belize." Nice mix! I haven't been to Egypt of Thailand; I've dove at the other two. Got any trips planned?

I haven't yet. I recently took a Nitrox class with Hampton Dive in Riverhead and thought they were excellent. You should check out their site, they post some of their activities.

What I learned from my instructor is that it's mostly wreck diving here. Not sure I can wrap my head around investing in a dry suit. I realize I love the warm water and good viz.
Actually, for shore diving (mostly in CT, but at times L.I., even Montauk) when I'm in the NY area each summer (before Covid of course), I always used my shorty. Even if you are adverse to cold, 72F plus temps. in the area in summer is fine for most folks using a thick wetsuit. Though there may be thermoclines if you're doing those Wreck dives. Thanks for the tip on Hampton Dive, I may check that out next summer.

Actually, for shore diving (mostly in CT, but at times L.I., even Montauk) when I'm in the NY area each summer (before Covid of course), I always used my shorty. Even if you are adverse to cold, 72F plus temps. in the area in summer is fine for most folks using a thick wetsuit. Though there may be thermoclines if you're doing those Wreck dives. Thanks for the tip on Hampton Dive, I may check that out next summer.
Curious how you do your shore diving? Do you go alone or buddy up? How far out are you swimming?

Welcome! From your dive profile listing, I see "Egypt, Thailand, Baja, Bonaire and Belize." Nice mix! I haven't been to Egypt of Thailand; I've dove at the other two. Got any trips planned?
Thanks. We were lucky to have gone on a "big trip" in 2008-09. We took advantage of being in those places already. Next trip? Maybe something closer. Cozumel?

Curious how you do your shore diving? Do you go alone or buddy up? How far out are you swimming?
I go solo except once in July with my brother. The CT sites are very shallow and not so great. Couple of OK spots in Jersey. I don't go far out from shore-- not at my age and possible cramping. And of course in the area one must lug around the dive flag-- for legal and safety reasons. This year, Covid allowing, we may get out to Montauk again-- there is a British wreck close to shore from the Revolutionary War that apparently is still somewhat "visible" with sand, etc. I go on Fridays between late June and early Aug., as I fit that in during my concert schedule in Westchester (prof. clarinetist). I stay at Croton Point Park the 7 weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom