Hi all. restarting my diving again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Erik

Registered
Reaction score
I am hoping someone can help me track down my scuba instructor. From Umpqua community college in Roseburg ,Oregon from 1987 and 1988. I took the open Water course twice and passed both times but never received my PADI certification. I don't think my parents paid that part . All I have is college transcripts that say Scuba but no instructors name or mention of Padi. Also PADI don't have any records or microfiche of my courses. so thinking he never turned it in Scuba course was paid but not certification. With all that I found out that the Divers Den in Roseburg is also out of business. that was where we had our dive gear from . So any help would be appreciated . I want to take refresher course but don't want to go through full course again and pay again . thanks again for any and all the help.

I was in a smilier boat (different country), and easiest thing for me was to start again.
After finding a good instructor, I'm glad I went that route (and soon forgot about the padi 'tax')
I'm assuming you didn't dive much after your course? A fair bit has changed, there's a few good threads on here discussing that in detail but here's a few in brief; computers, no buddy breathing, tables are different (and not generally used), some better practice what-if's in OW, DSMBs (taught in some AOW) etc.
Welcome back!

Yep...third times a charm hopefully! Start over once again.

Welcome back!
Im just curious, Did PADI say they would issue the certification card for taking the refresher if they don’t have record of original? Best to check that before spending money that way. My guess is for liability, they would want you to retake Whole course in which you are checked off for each of the skills on their list.
Finding a new, better instructor that finished paperwork might save you time and money too.

Welcome back!
Im just curious, Did PADI say they would issue the certification card for taking the refresher if they don’t have record of original? Best to check that before spending money that way. My guess is for liability, they would want you to retake Whole course in which you are checked off for each of the skills on their list.
Finding a new, better instructor that finished paperwork might save you time and money too.
no they wont let me get card or take refresher without instructor signing a release.

I was in a smilier boat (different country), and easiest thing for me was to start again.
After finding a good instructor, I'm glad I went that route (and soon forgot about the padi 'tax')
I'm assuming you didn't dive much after your course? A fair bit has changed, there's a few good threads on here discussing that in detail but here's a few in brief; computers, no buddy breathing, tables are different (and not generally used), some better practice what-if's in OW, DSMBs (taught in some AOW) etc.
Welcome back!
no only couple dives in when I was sent to Alaska in the Army . While there had all my tools and dive gear stolen from my truck in Fairbanks lost it all even logs

I know will most likely have to do it all over . Just irritating to have to 3 times more to do it all again plus get Doctors permission and pay them . instead of $85 refresher will have to pay around $585 with doctor visit , E-course , and dive class.

Doctors note?

Regardless, it's been decades and you've never dove? Do it right and be done with it....

no only couple dives in when I was sent to Alaska in the Army . While there had all my tools and dive gear stolen from my truck in Fairbanks lost it all even logs
You are a veteran? I heard here on Scubaboard that you can get veteran benefit of Scuba training if you could use it for job. My family are Airforce Veterans, but they won’t consider looking Scuba sadly. I hope you will keep posting about your getting re-certified, because a lot of people are in the same boat.

You are a veteran? I heard here on Scubaboard that you can get veteran benefit of Scuba training if you could use it for job. My family are Airforce Veterans, but they won’t consider looking Scuba sadly. I hope you will keep posting about your getting re-certified, because a lot of people are in the same boat.
I will try my best not giving up yet . as for Job I don't know it would be nice to get to divemaster /instructor so I could teach when out sailing the world . everyday is a new challenge and adventure

Back
Top Bottom