Hi All! Moving to Orlando/Daytona in June!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inventor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Howdy, I'm back after a long hiatus. Moving to Orlando at the end of June this year. Then soonish to Daytona area.

Looking for backplate/wing or travel wing when I get to Florida. Also regs and tanks.

Any suggestions as to local facebook or gear websites? Any diving location suggestions? Maybe two hour drive away at the most.

A quick Google Map plot from Daytona Beach to the Best Western (Intracoastal) in Jupiter, FL shows about a 2 hour, 50 minute drive (or 2 hours, 24 minutes from Orlando). Figure maybe another half hour to West Palm Beach? Here's my 2014 Jupiter Trip Report if you want to get a sense of what diving out of Jupiter was like for me during the goliath grouper aggregation.

What I'd suggest, to make it worth your while, get a hotel room for a couple of nights, drive down and check in Friday night, dive Saturday, check out Sunday morning, dive Sunday and head home that afternoon.

Richard.

I echo Jupiter. It's a more adult-swim diving culture, worth the drive from Orlando. Jupiter Dive Center and Emerald Charters have been good to me over the years. And if you stay over, and the high tide is right, a dive under the bridges at Phil Foster Park during slack water, is good shallow cheapskate fun. And a nice alternative when it's lumpy offshore or in the inlet.

....Looking for backplate/wing or travel wing when I get to Florida. Also regs and tanks.

Any suggestions as to local facebook or gear websites? Any diving location suggestions? Maybe two hour drive away at the most..

For the gear.... Checkout the Deep6 selection. We have great regs, wings, backplates and fins (disclaimer: my wife works with Deep6/Chris). High quality gear at a good price and direct to the consumer. If you are in the Orlando/Daytona area, we can get them to you to demo sometime when you are here.

Deep 6 Gear

Locations:

Blue Grotto, Alexander Springs are good warm-up areas a little north of Orlando. For ocean diving, anything should be around Jupiter south. Checkout Stuart Scuba for Jupiter and West Palm Beach. Blue Heron Bridge is a nice macros dive. There is a good selection of wrecks in the Pompano Beach area as they have a great artificial reef program. A couple of new wrecks sunk this year include the Ana Cecilia in the West Palm Beach area (I have not been on it yet) and the Newtown Creek Wreck (Lady Luck) in the Pompano Beach area.

Enjoy it!

Daytona? Don't :wink:

If you're on FB, there is a scuba swap & shop group with a lot of deals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom