Hey new here.... gear question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Clou... can you clarify the arrangement for lessons that you had with this dive center? Have you paid for the course? Was it made clear to you that equipment would not be provided?

I've never heard anything like this before (but then I don't work in the USA). Normally, an OW course is inclusive of equipment loan. At the very worst, if equipment wasn't loaned for free, then they might charge a supplementary fee for rental.

But to refuse further tuition and progress on the course?!?!

To supply it for the first session, and then refuse to supply for futher training?!?

It sounds very odd to me.... :idk:

Can you please clarify?

Sounds to me like he was in a Discover Scuba class. "first lesson" can mean so much.

My OW required us to have our own mask, fins, snorkel, and boots.

Hi Clou... can you clarify the arrangement for lessons that you had with this dive center? Have you paid for the course? Was it made clear to you that equipment would not be provided?

I've never heard anything like this before (but then I don't work in the USA). Normally, an OW course is inclusive of equipment loan. At the very worst, if equipment wasn't loaned for free, then they might charge a supplementary fee for rental.

But to refuse further tuition and progress on the course?!?!

To supply it for the first session, and then refuse to supply for futher training?!?

It sounds very odd to me.... :idk:

Can you please clarify?

all I understand is that I called to place asked what it was, paid for the class and then went... but don't remember anything about talking about buying gear to advance in the class.

Haven't called them since then... but guess should talk to him about rental...

I'd ask to see the small print. It's grossly unfair (if not illegal) for them not to be transparant and honest about any 'additional costs' associated with the course.

They cannot refuse training if you have paid for the course.

If they refuse to include gear, or refuse to rent the gear... then I would suggest you look towards other dive shops who could rent you the gear. As long as you 'have' the right gear, then they have to provide the training. They cannot stipulate that you must purchase and own it...

If they are unhelpful, do not hesitate to contact SSI directly. They should act as an arbiter in any dispute.

If the worst comes to the worst, ask for a refund (and referal paperwork), so that you can continue your tuition with a more reputable and fair dive school.

all I understand is that I called to place asked what it was, paid for the class and then went... but don't remember anything about talking about buying gear to advance in the class.

Haven't called them since then... but guess should talk to him about rental...

Clou:

Can you post the general location in OH you are at?? There are several OH divers on here, maybe they can better point you in a right direction. They also may have some used gear that they want to sell. And, you might be able to avoid shipping charges.

Hey OP,

So I had the same problem. I wanted to get certified but my parents weren't going to pay for a nickel of it. I loved it so much, that I worked for weeks washing cars and babysitting and earned over 1200 dollars to pay for certification, buy a quality "stater kit" (fins, boots, mask, snorkel, gloves, compass) and a used BC and reg setup. The LDS, Wallins dive center, was very kind to me and knew my situation and helped me find my price range. IT is important to have a good relationship with the LDS so you get good deals on gear.

Hey there,

New to the boards and diving....

Just took my first SSI class yesterday and want to do more. And if it pans out.. Maybe even do a career out of it.

However, the dive shop wants me to buy my own gear before doing anymore lessons.
Which sort of discouraging to me due to funds..

I'm searching for cheap gear (mask, snorkel and fins) just so could finish the class, but don't know about it... So what is your opinion on this? Is it worth it?

If I go cheap, what type of gear could I buy cheap until I'm able to afford better gear?

Why not purchase at the facility that you are taking the class at? Diving is a commitment in time and $$.If you cannot make that commitment then do not take up diving.
They probably expect you to purchase from them anyway.
If people have mask/fin/snkl already and take a class from me I have no issue with that.But to show up with gear purchased elsewhere and my not given the opportunity
to assist them with their purchase for proper fit and use irks me,sorry.
Part of my job as an instructor is to talk to the student ,find out what type of diving they are interested it and make appropriate gear suggestions based on information I have about them.If someone shows up to class with gear that is inappropriate for them and does not work properly may impede their ability to learn and holds up the rest of the class needlessly.
I never forget the student who had to have the class done by a certain time and we did not have anyone else signed up for the posted schedule.He was to go on a trip to Asia and that trip would cost him thousands $$.
Well not to disappoint him we choose to run the classs just for him,standard tuition fee, not private fee,so that he can meet his goal.First meeting with him during orientation when advised again that he needed to own mask-fins-snkl he wanted us to supply it to him,he did not want to own.When told we only sell personal gear,not available for rent ,he then says he will get gear online and will be in class following night.At that point I just gave up and told him that if he cannot trust me on his personal gear purchases then he can just take the lessons elsewhere.I gave him back all fees he had paid for the course and learning materials and sent him home.
All I am try to get across is that its bad form to show up with gear for a ow class purchased elsewhere.If you own it already or your "big" brother lends you his ,thats ok,just make sure fit is ok and function is ok.

The shop I dive out of in Hawaii prefers you have your own M,F,S but will provide them if you don't. (no charge) They also offer a 20% discount on any purchases while you are a student.

So I had the same problem. I wanted to get certified but my parents weren't going to pay for a nickel of it. I loved it so much, that I worked for weeks washing cars and babysitting and earned over 1200 dollars to pay for certification, buy a quality "stater kit" (fins, boots, mask, snorkel, gloves, compass) and a used BC and reg setup.

Kudos to you, Mr.beast! I wish I could find some teens with that kind of ambition -- I have a big property with LOTS of small projects on it, that I would love to find some help with!

Kudos to you, Mr.beast! I wish I could find some teens with that kind of ambition -- I have a big property with LOTS of small projects on it, that I would love to find some help with!

Thinking about this.... and wondering why more instructors aren't flooding the 'Help Wanted' forum with offers of free/discounted tuition in return for the services of an eager teenager! :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom