Hey new here.... gear question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CLou

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey there,

New to the boards and diving....

Just took my first SSI class yesterday and want to do more. And if it pans out.. Maybe even do a career out of it.

However, the dive shop wants me to buy my own gear before doing anymore lessons.
Which sort of discouraging to me due to funds..

I'm searching for cheap gear (mask, snorkel and fins) just so could finish the class, but don't know about it... So what is your opinion on this? Is it worth it?

If I go cheap, what type of gear could I buy cheap until I'm able to afford better gear?

The only gear you should own before the end of your OW pool sessions are your mask, fins, snorkel, and boots. I bought all my own gear including tanks before my OW checkouts because I was able to at the time. And replaced damn near all of it in the first two years because it no longer met my needs. If by your own gear you mean the mask, snorkle, fins, and boots then yes you should have your own. At a minimum the mask. A dive quality one. Not one from Walmart or even Dicks. A $100 mask is a bargain if it works well for you. A $25 one will be more expensive in the long run if it doesn't fit. Fit is critical. As for the other stuff get the cheapest snorkle with a flexible tube. Do not waste money on a dry or semi dry gimmick. Boots are cheap. You do not need top of the line ones. Fins- go to ebay and buy a set of $100 fins for 25 bucks plus 10 for shipping. If you are unable to swing just those basics you may want to rethink the whole idea for now. This sport is not cheap. It can be inexpensive, but not cheap. Air fills, quarry entry fees, hell just gas to a from the sites is going to nickel and dime you. Make an honest assessment of your finances before going any further. Where in Ohio are you? If you want more specific info contact me via PM or thru my website.

Yes, purchasing your own gear is absolutely worth it. Skimp on the snorkel, and definately pass on the dry snorkel. I would buy as cheap as possible. Spend some cash on your mask. It's most important to your enjoyment, especially from the get-go. Fins are iffy. If you have strong leg muscles, you may opt for a stiffer fin, whereas if you've got a smaller frame you may want more flex. Stiffer will require more work to propel, but you'll move faster. Conversely, flexible fins will be easy to kick with, but not as much forward movement.

All things considered, you should be able to pick up a QUALITY mask, some fins and a cheap snorkely for about $150-$200, and it will be equipment you can use after certification, well into your diving "career".

Owning your gear is worth it, but to have it be required before even finishing your class doesn't sit well with me. When I worked for a local dive center, we didn't require any gear ownership and basic kit rental was included in the class price. If you were taking advanced and needed a light, you'd either need to rent or buy that.

I would agree that you should at least be prepared to get mask, fins, snorkel and maybe even hood, boots & gloves by the end of your checkout weekend. Maybe check around the area and see what other dive shops in your area include and require for their classes, maybe that's just normal in your area.

You could get away with buying used for all your personal gear with no problems...

Try on the mask and make sure it fits well around your face. Fit is more important than colour. Spend your time finding one and be sure that it fits well. If you wear glasses than you may want to consider getting a mask that allows for corrective lenses to be installed. Not all masks accept this from what I understand...

You're probably never going to use the snorkel after OW so I suggest you save your money and get the cheapest one. You may even want to get a folding snorkel so you can keep it in your pocket. When not in use but still be within standards of the organization (PADI requires it when training, I'm not sure about SSI).

Fins are widely debated. If you plan on doing tech diving than get paddle fins. They are reputed to be better for doing the various styles of kicks and most importantly they reduce the possibility of entanglement. Split fins seem to be popular with recreational divers and tropical swimmers as they are easier to kick with. They have a harder time pushing a large mass through water though so for multi tank divers and cold water divers it may feel like you are spinning your wheels trying to get anywhere. Split fins are also not recommended in the technical, wreck or cave diving due to the possibility of entanglement when using lines.

That should be all that you need. Hopefully this helps you buy it right the first time so you won't need to replace it in the future. You'r probably looking at around 100-200 for al that if you buy it used.

You could get away with buying used for all your personal gear with no problems...

Try on the mask and make sure it fits well around your face. Fit is more important than colour. Spend your time finding one and be sure that it fits well. If you wear glasses than you may want to consider getting a mask that allows for corrective lenses to be installed. Not all masks accept this from what I understand...

You're probably never going to use the snorkel after OW so I suggest you save your money and get the cheapest one. You may even want to get a folding snorkel so you can keep it in your pocket. When not in use but still be within standards of the organization (PADI requires it when training, I'm not sure about SSI).

Fins are widely debated. If you plan on doing tech diving than get paddle fins. They are reputed to be better for doing the various styles of kicks and most importantly they reduce the possibility of entanglement. Split fins seem to be popular with recreational divers and tropical swimmers as they are easier to kick with. They have a harder time pushing a large mass through water though so for multi tank divers and cold water divers it may feel like you are spinning your wheels trying to get anywhere. Split fins are also not recommended in the technical, wreck or cave diving due to the possibility of entanglement when using lines.

That should be all that you need. Hopefully this helps you buy it right the first time so you won't need to replace it in the future. You'r probably looking at around 100-200 for al that if you buy it used.

Okay thanks, know where could buy used? want to do cold water dives... also wear glasses so where do get goggles for that?

CLou, you've already gotten some good advice. It is not unreasonable for the shop to require mask, snorkel, fins and boots from the student (at least, the shops around here require those things). As stated, you can buy a really inexpensive snorkel, and you can get some very inexpensive fins as well. (LeisurePro sells the Deep Sea Pulse fins for $39, IIRC, and they are a very usable beginning fin. They're what I use in the pool with students, and I have also used them in warm water, although I have fins I prefer for the ocean.) Masks have to fit, so you have to spend what you have to spend for them to do so.

As far as visual correction goes, you have three choices. You can do without, which works fairly well for people with mild myopia, since the water magnifies things and makes them look closer. You can wear contacts, which many people do, or you can get prescription lenses in your mask. The last option is the most expensive, and is certainly not something I would do until I was sure diving was something I was going to continue doing.

If you watch your local Craig's List, you can pick up dive gear used. Fins, masks and snorkels are fairly safe buys. When you get to BCs and regulators, it's best to have some help from someone who knows what they are doing. Some things are sold cheaply because they are simply horrible gear that the owner has figured out doesn't work well for anybody, and some regulators, for example, came from makers who are no longer in business, and can't be repaired any more.

TSandM has given you much better advice for corrective masks than I can give. I only know of them but not about them. They were an option that my wife was looking at but after trying a regular mask decided it wasn't necessary for her.

you could start right here for looking for used gear Scubaboard

You could also try Craigslist Ohio

Or LeisurePro is an online scuba store that sells grey market merchandise and because of that has some of the lowest prices on the net. I've never ordered from them though so I can't vouch for their service. LeisurePro

Hope that helps

I am new to diving also. My OW class required that you had your own Mask, Fins and Snorkel for the class. All other equipment rental was included in the class price. Also 4 dives on charter boat in Key Largo. Only thing not included was food and lodging. I have found that this is not a cheap hobby to get into. My wife and I have done OW, Nitrox and AOW together. 2 regulators, 2 computers, 2 wetsuits, 2 BCDs and more has definitely taken its toll on our bank account. But, I am loving every minute of this. I would suggest that you get only what you need now and then purchase one piece at a time. Rent the rest.

Back
Top Bottom