Hey from NorCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivinLion01

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey everyone. Happy to be a part of this site and diving community. Diving for about 4 months now with 30 dives in the log. Love the community and all the information. Looking forward to a lot of years here and underwater. Dive safe!

Welcome to ScubaBoard! Kudos for racking up 30 dives already!

I'm outside of Sacramento, but love the Sonoma and Mendocino Coast as well. My buddy and I love diving the rivers which feed Folsom Lake as well as the American River below the dam. Always some great treasures (and lots of trash) to collect and dispose of.

I'm outside of Sacramento, but love the Sonoma and Mendocino Coast as well. My buddy and I love diving the rivers which feed Folsom Lake as well as the American River below the dam. Always some great treasures (and lots of trash) to collect and dispose of.
Hey man, that’s great news you like Sonoma Co.!
Join us sometime for an urchin clean up dive at Stillwater Cove Park in Sonoma County.
I’m in the process of assembling a team of divers to concentrate on clearing out Stillwater Cove of purple urchins to try and restore the bull kelp forest. All you need is a Ca. fishing license, a big green trident game bag, a lift bag or deluxe marker sausage helps for sure, and a big 45 gallon plastic Brute trash can.
I’m going to plan beach dives on weekends and the more divers the better. We will be working from the beach outward and eventually with some determination and consistency I think we can make a difference. I’ve already made a difference close in and that’s just me.
They have picnic benches, barbecues, and a head, so it has all services. Plenty of parking too, there is a turnout up top on the highway which is free, or there is also a parking lot up in the campground for day use and it’s $7 per day. I have a park pass so I just park. There is a really pretty trail through the redwoods that leads down to the cove.
The campground is right up the hill from the cove which is part of the same park so you can even camp and have a place to crack a beer and crash out after a day of diving. If you pay to camp then your day use fee is included.
It’s an opportunity to blow some bubbles and connect with some locals, have a beach barbecue and a bunch of fun.
I even have a place a few miles away to offload the urchins. 40 gallons is a lot of urchins!!
Give it a thought.
I will be posting up here with any planned dives as far in advance as I can.

I was up in Red Bluff (actually Bend) on the Sacramento River, and it was ripping. How's the current where you dive?

Hey man, that’s great news you like Sonoma Co.!
Join us sometime for an urchin clean up dive at Stillwater Cove Park in Sonoma County.
I’m in the process of assembling a team of divers to concentrate on clearing out Stillwater Cove of purple urchins to try and restore the bull kelp forest. All you need is a Ca. fishing license, a big green trident game bag, a lift bag or deluxe marker sausage helps for sure, and a big 45 gallon plastic Brute trash can.
I’m going to plan beach dives on weekends and the more divers the better. We will be working from the beach outward and eventually with some determination and consistency I think we can make a difference. I’ve already made a difference close in and that’s just me.
They have picnic benches, barbecues, and a head, so it has all services. Plenty of parking too, there is a turnout up top on the highway which is free, or there is also a parking lot up in the campground for day use and it’s $7 per day. I have a park pass so I just park. There is a really pretty trail through the redwoods that leads down to the cove.
The campground is right up the hill from the cove which is part of the same park so you can even camp and have a place to crack a beer and crash out after a day of diving. If you pay to camp then your day use fee is included.
It’s an opportunity to blow some bubbles and connect with some locals, have a beach barbecue and a bunch of fun.
I even have a place a few miles away to offload the urchins. 40 gallons is a lot of urchins!!
Give it a thought.
I will be posting up here with any planned dives as far in advance as I can.

Sounds fantastic! My dive buddy and I would absolutely love to come up and help you all out with some clean-up. Keep me in mind when you are planning the next dive and we will be happy to come over and meet you all. SOunds like a great time!

I was up in Red Bluff (actually Bend) on the Sacramento River, and it was ripping. How's the current where you dive?

We dove last Wednesday night (our usual weekday night dive) and again on Sunday morning (again, our usual). We got in the water when it was calm (wednesday) and within 15 minutes, they turned on the water and it was BRUTAL. We had to find some areas where the current was slowed in order to attempt to dive. The current was ripping for 20 minutes, but then ebbed a bit, so we just allowed the current to float us a bit.

Sunday we dove early morning and the water was like glass. Spent over an hour underwater and the conditions (current wise) were perfect. Found a lot of treasure and cleaned up a ton of trash.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom