Hey everyone!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbhatt312

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone! My husband and I are going diving in Belize in a couple days to finish our OW cert. Any tips for first time open water divers? We've got our own gear, searched what to eat, plan on getting plenty of rest before/after..any other things we should be mindful of?

Welcome to diving & Scubaboard. You'll likely get a better response if you post in this forum or ask the moderators to move your post there: New Divers and Those Considering Diving.

My best advice:
  • Hopefully, you did some research on the dive shop you'll be using asking other divers whether the shop was good especially for new divers. TripAdvisor & the like are often not helpful in this regard. (I only note this because there are some dive shops out there which are terrible & can put your life at risk. I don't want to alarm you, but better to know in advance & adjust your plans--changing dive shops or choosing/avoiding a specific instructor there.)
  • Join the Divers Alert Network (DAN) & also get dive accident insurance. The most expensive plan from DAN is only $135 & will cover things your own insurance won't.
  • Make sure you equalize BEFORE you feel any pressure. I didn't understand that until I'd been diving a year & it makes a big difference.
  • Swim slowly underwater. You'll scare fewer fish (& divers) away & won't blow through your air as fast.
  • Either wrap your arms around yourself or clasp your hands together. Otherwise, you'll try to use your hands while diving which slows you down & makes you blow through your air.
  • Enjoy your dives! You're one of the lucky few who gets to see the magical underwater world. :)
You'll love Belize!

howdy and welcome from southeast florida USA...have a great time in Belize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom