Hey all, I need some quick weight adjustment advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WI Scuba Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
West Bend, WI (about 30 miles north of Milwaukee)
# of dives
200 - 499
I just started diving again this year, after a 12 year hiatus. Got my weight/buoyancy dialed in pretty well with a 7mm full suit, with 7mm hood, boots and gloves. Diving early-season cold water Wisconsin lakes. I’m a bigger guy, so with all that 2XL neoprene, I’m carrying 28 pounds of lead.

Well, the summer is in full swing, and the water has warmed up nicely ... and last weekend my 7mm was way too much suit for shallower lake dives. So today I picked up a 3mm wetsuit. I’m going on a group dive with it tomorrow, but I haven’t had a chance to re-calculate how much lead I’ll need.

Is there a good rule of thumb for taking off weight when going from a 7mm, down to a 3mm full wet suit?

I’d rather err on the side of a little too much lead, than not enough. Especially since I’ll be diving shallow. Any tips ... I’m hoping to be weighted as close possible, so I don’t have to waste a lot of my buddies time swapping weights around doing buoyancy checks.

I tried a buoyancy calculator, which was very close with my 7mm wetsuit weight. But took me from 28 pounds down to 14 pounds for a 3mm suit? Does that sound right? It’s half the weight. I was thinking of dropping off 6 pounds, but it’s suggesting I drop off 14.

Thanks!
Dave

I use 14lbs in a 5mm with hood, gloves, and 3mm booties but 12lbs is better. I carry the extra 2lbs in case someone else needs them.

A weight check shouldn't take too long. Try the 14 and have a couple extra handy in case you need them.

And fwiw, I am sure I am a bigger guy than you.

I just started diving again this year, after a 12 year hiatus. Got my weight/buoyancy dialed in pretty well with a 7mm full suit, with 7mm hood, boots and gloves. Diving early-season cold water Wisconsin lakes. I’m a bigger guy, so with all that 2XL neoprene, I was carrying 28 pounds of lead.

Well, the summer is in full swing, and the water has warmed up nicely ... and last weekend my 7mm was way too much suit, for shallower lake dives. So today I picked up a 3mm wetsuit. I’m going on a group dive with it tomorrow, but I haven’t had a chance to re-calculate how much lead I’ll need.

Is there a good rule of thumb for taking off weight when going from a 7mm, down to a 3mm full wet suit?

I’d rather err on the side of a little too much lead, than not enough. Especially since I’ll be diving shallow. Any tips ... I’m hoping to be weighted as close possible, so I don’t have to waste a lot of my buddies time swapping weights around doing buoyancy checks.

I tried a buoyancy calculator, which was very close with my 7mm wetsuit weight. But took me from 28 pounds down to 14 pounds for a 3mm suit? Does that sound right? It’s half the weight. I was thinking of dropping off 6 pounds, but it’s suggesting I drop off 14.

Thanks!
Dave
I would guess 14 would be close but I'd put on 17 cause I hate being light.

I'm also a 2XL. I use 12 more pounds with my Deep6 7mm than with my Deep6 3 mm, 14 pounds more than with my 3mm that doesn't have thigh pockets or wrist/ankle seals.

Back
Top Bottom