Hero3+, Video Lights & Dozens of Goliaths On the Castor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
[video=vimeo;76464061]https://vimeo.com/76464061[/video]

A video of approximately 50 goliath grouper on and around the wreck of the M/V Castor
lying in 110 ft. of water off North Delray Beach, FL. The video was shot with the new
GoPro camera with a red filter and two 1400 lumen video lights

Yes, I am still experimenting with filters and thanks! Not too long ago I was convinced that outside ideal bright shooting conditions in good viz., they weren't worth using. I was wrong about that! Then I asked around and the consensus was that filters would oversaturate with artificial light which is true after a point. I notice things seem to oversaturate when I approach past a certain distance. Despite that the colors are interesting. Also, this is in daylight albeit in lower light conditions with an overcast sky in 80 to 110 ft. of water. I had more ambient light interference on the second dive in 50 to 60 ft. of water washing out the influence of the lights as you would expect.

It's pretty dark down there. I noticed you often left the red filter on while using lights. I still looked pretty good though.

It's pretty dark down there. I noticed you often left the red filter on while using lights. I still looked pretty good though.

It's a great dive, but like you said, dark. It's deep and because of the visibility, natural light is cut down too. Pretty tough lighting conditions for shooting video.

I also used lights plus a filter when I dove it. Like Rick experienced, with low natural light levels, medium distance shots worked well with lights plus filter, but close up shots were too red.

Looked cool, but I don't think lights and a filter mix. One or the other... that has been my experience..

Back
Top Bottom