Hero2 settings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TXreefer

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
There are tons of threads on this and the information is so mixed up and off-base throughout the thread it's hard to figure out answers.

I have filmed underwater with flat lens housing in 1080-30. The resolution was awesome but at times I moved the camera too fast and it couldn't keep up with high quality (pixely).

Last weekend during my dad's OW class I tried filming in 720-60. The pixely motion was non-existent, but the resolution isn't as good. Obviously.

Anyone tried 960-48 underwater?

I haven't tried protune mode on anything. My goal is to film 30-40 ft with red filter in clear Caribbean waters so I will get good lighting. What is the best resolution, fps, protune/no protune?

It always ends up I don't have much time for determining this while on vacation, just wishing I would have done something different while I was there.

And please hero3 users, I don't have a hero3...so your hero3 experience is useless to me! Sorry!

On the GP2 (and 3), I stick with 1080p-30fps and just don't move fast - hold steady, count to 10, move on. Simply crop the fast moving parts afterwards, if they are pixelated, they are too fast anyway to be pleasant.

It's a decent frame rate and the resolution is enough to grab a couple frames.

Forget about 960 as it give u video with black frames in the sides. Its not too nice.

I also use 720 or 1080
1080 for not much movement. .. 720 for the faster movements..

But 1080 can also shoot well for motion. Just stay at a spot... and not move

Thanks for the replies. I'll plan to stick with 1080 mainly and try not to "move." It's funny because I really didn't think I was moving that quickly.

Question (off-topic) since I have a couple people listening...
Do either of you film with the LCD bacpac? My battery life is horrible and was planning to get the battery bacpac which would prevent having the LCD to frame shots. I'm thinking the battery is more valuable here and just practice pointing the camera in the right direction?

Thanks for the replies. I'll plan to stick with 1080 mainly and try not to "move." It's funny because I really didn't think I was moving that quickly.

Question (off-topic) since I have a couple people listening...
Do either of you film with the LCD bacpac? My battery life is horrible and was planning to get the battery bacpac which would prevent having the LCD to frame shots. I'm thinking the battery is more valuable here and just practice pointing the camera in the right direction?

your hands 'shakes'... if you hold it with one hand. lets say u are holding the gopro and taking the video.. u can put your elbow on a solid place to get those 'shakes' out.. or u can use your other hand to hold your forearm or wrist... to make things stable. works the same if you are using a monopod... or probably any other items you use. can practise that on land..

as for lcd or battery pac..

i love the battery pac for gp2 as it also back up as a battery charger... spare me from charging a battery with the unit itself.

with practise you can get the angle right without the lcd pac.. as its 1080 and 170degree pov. if you are off then the post will be a bother.. but its okay..

so get that battery pac and save up for a lcd!

how bad is your battery life? i can get an hour worth of video at 1080 from the start to the end.. that is enough for a typical dive.. for me..

if u are talking about multiple dive in a day.. then get those wasabi battery that cost less, but still give u good battery life...esp the set that comes with the external charger...

Are you hand holding an individual (housed) camera? The GoPro's are mighty light so a lot of motion blur is possible.

I've been ribbed about my set up, but it is massive (10lbs in air) so fairly stable. With the floats it is neutral at depth so single hand control is possible:

As for battery life, I get a bit over 2 hours and change batteries between dives.

I use a DIY camera tray. As far as the battery goes, I try to get two dives in on Bonaire so I don't have to carry an extra battery for potential thieves. I'm gonna see about getting the battery bacpac.

9e3unuha.jpg

After shooting video for the past 8+ years, using a mid-sized camcorder and housing, the hardest thing to learn has always been movement.............. move so slow you think you are moving too slow!!! It is hard to learn, and even harder to do with these tiny camcorders!!! It just feels weird to move that slow. I can't tell you how much video footage I discard in editing due to movement.
Another thing I learned many years ago, is to count 1001, 1002, 1003.... while shooting. It makes me much more cognizant of holding the camera firmly, moving slowly, and getting my clips to a usable length, like 10-15 seconds.

Practice, practice, practice.... it pays off eventually.

robin
CCV at the end of June!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm ready to go try it out! CZM in 17 days!

I do use the LCD bacpac and can get 2 dives (~45-50 minutes) in one battery. I film short videos (10-30 seconds) instead long scenes. Camera is on the whole time, the LCD will go on "stand by" mode if not used in 60 seconds.

It's good to have but not mandatory. The best scenes are those shot level with the reef, where you hold the camera as low as possible - a glimpse of the reef and the deep blue behind it. In those cases, you don't even see what's on the LCD.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom